dikman

Carr 369 press and dies

As I mentioned in another post I now have 3 x United-Carr 369 presses. They came with an assortment of dies, none of which fit any of the eyelets, rivets etc that I also got, or any of my existing snaps, rivets etc.The dies are all too big and I have no idea what they're for (see first photo).

I also found a few smaller dies but these are obviously for a different press as they have tapered shanks, but some of them fit the rivets and eyelets! Making adapters to fit the Carr press wouldn't be difficult but the first thing would be to take off the tapers. Easy, just chuck them in the lathe thinks I. Slight problem, they are HARD! After wearing out two carbide cutters I ended up using a belt grinder to take most of it off then chucking them in the lathe and using the grinding belts held against them to make them round. Just have to drill and tap the adapters to hold the dies in place. (Photo 2).

It's also occurred to me to make an adapter to hold an awl blade, then a press could be used to punch stitching holes through very thick welts. I hope.

Dies 2a.jpg

Dies 1a.jpg

Another possible use for one of the presses- make an adapter to use the alphabet stamps that came with my stuff. I reckon it should work.

Do the presses run a 3/8" hole?

If so Tandy has a stamp holder set for like 30 bucks that hold all 3 sizes of their stamps. 

One of the few things they have that is actually a good deal.

Yep, 3/8". I've already made an adapter to hold the stamps, now it's just a matter of refining the design. One of the presses had been modified by grinding down the "cam" part on one side of the handle and this is perfect for this job as it gives more leverage and pressure on the stamp.

Hi Dikman, I've recently acquired a Carr model M236 it appears fantastic at first glance, as it has two pistons side by side to load two dies at once. The issue is the jaws have a 2 3/4 inch clearance.  So the dies must be very low profile.  The dies available from Weaver, etc. are much taller . Any suggestions? THANKS!!

I realize this is an old thread, but does anyone have an idea as to where to purchase dies for an old United Carr m369 press? I believe the bottom hole is for a 3/8" shank. I have a set for line 24 snaps but was hoping for some grommet setting dies. Thanks!

Update: Weaver dies ( some but not all) are a low profile and will work on my United Carr press with a 2 3/4 " throat.  The grommet setters are much taller in height, but have the 3/8 male end(s). So they may fit if you have more space in the throat.  Call them directly as they can measure the dies for further details. Good luck!

You don’t have an extra line 24 stud die do you?