PWDrawhorn

Pfaff 545 H4 Best Feet for veg tan leather?

I recently aquired a rough Pfaff 545 H4 and I'm working on getting it running good. My question is what feet should I be looking for? Should they be smooth or rough? Do I need to change the feed dog to a smooth one or is it even available? I would appreciate you feedback!

PWDrawhorn

You will want totally smooth feet for the top and the softest points on the feed dog, or knurled, or smooth, if available (not likely). You only need teeth to move cloth and banners, or slippery materials.

Teeth mark leather. You can reduce the marks on the bottom by backing off the foot pressure.

Is there a source where I can find the part number and description of totally smooth feet? Most I have seen have teeth. and of course my feed dogs have teeth, what can I do about them? Do I grind and polish them?

See if you can find an authorized Pfaff dealer. They will know what feet and feeders are available for your 545.

Gregg at Keystone Sewing knows a lot about most  makes and models of industrial sewing machines, as does Bob Kovar at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines.

Great, thank you for your help. I'll be making a phone call or two! 

Thanks again!

PW

Generic feet for Pfaff will work well and our much cheaper than genuine.

glenn

I've found a few suppliers but I just was'nt sure about what to buy. Where do you reccomend?

PW

Either a double toe outside presser foot or a left toe outside presser foot.  Pfaff  feet and their generics come in a couple of sizes as to the inner presser foot.  Check out Kwok Hing.  They make some real narrow feet for the 545 and the 1245.
glenn

I'd recommend trying standard Pfaff double-toe feet with a knurled outer foot (e.g. Kwok Hing part KP-1245W). I have some left in stock if you need it fast (KP1245W). If you have time, you can also order directly from Kwok Hing at http://khsew.com for less. The inner foot is perfectly smooth to begin with except for climbing teeth at the front. I doubt the knurled outer foot will leave major marks, but if it does, it's easy to turn it into to a smooth outer foot. I prefer using a pneumatic rotary sanding disc tool to make toothed feet perfectly smooth in about a minute or two. The bigger the footprint, the less likely it is to leave marks. Tiny footprints are not your friend when trying to avoid marking leather. 

Here's a picture of the underside of the KP1245W feet:

KP1245W-5_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Edited by Uwe

Wow, I wish I would've read this post earlier, I've already some off of ebay if they dont work out I'll get with you.

Thanks for all the info!

PW