katit

Skiver restoration project and questions

If you do not have a connection at the bottom of the arm for the light, then probably that pin you are talking about is for the wires of the lamp. on the Fortuna there is a din pin at the bottom of the arm for plugging in the lamp. The lamp is the same one that Matts has on his Fortuna splitter machine so i think yours would be similar, goosenecked.

20190307_190705.thumb.jpg.2acf08ceb48c2c6526ce3cab24d16461.jpg20190307_190721.thumb.jpg.4a4f7114382744916652baef860435f6.jpg20190307_190757.jpg.a1c2b700e510be5517e79e5073d721d8.jpg

Actually you can kind of see this pin sticking on back. And there is a hole in front (red arroows)

And no, this is not original paint. I strip layers now and I see this greenish paint under this pale grenn/yellow.

Capture.JPG

Some progress. All parts to be painted already stripped/cleaned and mostly primed. I use rustoleum bare metal primer, I think it's got acid for etching and my experience with it great so far.

All rusty parts is actually acid cleaned, next I will do final degrease/acid and nickel plating. 

Overall it's a progress. Worst/hardest part is over. Inside of a main body was a PITA to clean.

Piecing back clean/new parts should be easy/fun. The only thing is that from a factory it was painted after partial assembly. I may need to do the same because assembly happens metal to metal. I am going to prime top parts of a skiver lightly to prevent rust and then do partial assembly.

Final paint will be with Valspar paint mixed with hardener and sprayed. This color should be pretty good match. I used this paint before and it dries very hard, has good gloss and very hardy.

I may need to do some bondo on top/front of machine. There was about 1/16-1/32 from a factory to make it smooth/flat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LNV5UU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

Edited by katit

Nickel plating is a failure so far. I don't get even plating on parts. Corners/etc get plated and then it burns. And it's very slow. If someone got experience/knowledge please chime in.

My current understanding is that I need to copper-plate first in order for nickel plating to "stick". Metal used for parts is not very friendly.

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

Hi Katit

Could you please give me update, on which parts you need.

Brgds

DanishMan

2 minutes ago, DanishMan said:

Could you please give me update, on which parts you need.

I think I'm good now. I ordered 1 part I was missing..

Got all parts chrome plated locally. Much easier than doing it myself :) Wasn't that expensive either ($75)

All primed, filled and ready to coat of paint and assembly. Getting there slowly. Waiting on parts but should be here soon.

IMG_3048.jpg

Those parts look great katit. Looking forward to seeing the finished article! What colour you intending to paint it?

Well. Thats a problem/dilemma right now. I really like to work with tractor paint from Valspar, it works for me (I'm not painter) and affordable. Makes very nice finish when used with hardener.

So I picked this "Ford grey" as on a label it looks very similar to original paint. See bottom of can. Sprayed small parts and internals yesterday and it came out very close to white, just a shade of gray. Nothing like on a label.

I have another can with black paint remains and I'm thinking about mixing little black into this paint to make it slightly darker. Or just paint like this? Will look like Consew :)

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

Really bad news :( My iphone screen became unresponsive and they (Apple) had to give me a new phone. I couldn't even do backup (and they can't assist). Got new phone, which is nice, but all detailed pictures I took during disassembly now gone. I have couple pictures here and there but mostly will need to work off memory during assembly :(

Fear not.

I had a similar thing happen to me when I replaced the timing belt on my wife's Audi a couple years ago.  That job required taking apart LOTS of stuff just to get to where the work needed to happen.  Not only did I get it back together, I had no parts left over (bonus!) and the car started & ran perfectly with the first turn of the key.

Give yourself some credit.  After all this time & work, you know the internals of that machine intimately; even if you don't realize it.  You'll get it back together without a problem. :spoton:

Yeah, I'm sure I will figure it out, all parts are different so it shouldn't be a big deal. Plus I posted many pictures in this topic which will be helpful.

There is a lot of adjustments in machine and I was hoping to set everything in a rough "ballpark" using pictures, no way to do it anymore. Plus there is adjusting washers in skiving knife shaft which go to the certain side and now I will not remember it.

Definitely not in rush completing this one. But new project requiring skiving came up and I'm back on a track. Will be even harder to remember what goes where but so far moving along. Did pre-assmebly of major components, bolted all that supposed to be painted together - together. Replacing all bearings, packing all with synthetic grease.

Wait for paint to cure, scuff and do 2nd coat. I picked this darker color, not similar to original but I like it, looks nice in person.

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

Hi Katit

Great to look your project to move ahead.

I am about to take an old skiving machine apart and repaint it.

Last year I tried to remove the main shaft of another machine, and it ended in disaster.

You mentioned earlier in this thread, that it was tricky to remove the main shaft. What was the tricky part for you?

Cheers

DanishMan

On 9/17/2019 at 2:22 AM, DanishMan said:

Hi Katit

Great to look your project to move ahead.

I am about to take an old skiving machine apart and repaint it.

Last year I tried to remove the main shaft of another machine, and it ended in disaster.

You mentioned earlier in this thread, that it was tricky to remove the main shaft. What was the tricky part for you?

Cheers

DanishMan

Sorry, just noticed your reply. My post on page 1 from March 3 shows broken part (I had to order new one). This "fork" looking piece I thought it's pressed in but it's actually threaded. I tried to press it out and broke it. Other than that - there is no problem to remove it. Unscrew cap, then unscrew this "fork". I think one of them is left-hand threads

Good job.

I have two old skivers, that I will start working on soon.

Could you please tell me, how you removed the knife shaft with all the parts (worm wheel etc)

Brgds

DanishMan

Never finished a project, now 2 skivers for sale here. Didn't list in anywhere else, leatherworker members get a first dib.