AbileneEd

First try, and thank you

First of all I would like to thank you all for providing such a wealth of information. I’ve been lurking and reading for a few weeks and my Son and I just finished our first holster. I couldn’t have done it without this resource. Ok...

Ordered 7-9 veg tan from “T”, scoured this page and borrowed some tools and here we are. I still need to seal it but I don’t think it’s too bad for a first try. Thanks again.

93821895-8A06-45A2-BE8A-9788E5631217FAAC14C3-5EF8-4C3E-B347-920537F44E6538B520C6-3A41-476A-858D-2DEF2A3E67FD019754FE-3C99-4496-82F7-57814E780608FFBA8FD6-D041-4B02-9AE3-870C8F0112083A99B49A-74FF-4E3A-9323-9CE2C6BA6BBAFD963112-1643-4919-967E-493C4C0D3512

Awesome!  Best part is the camaraderie and the bonding time.  When things don't go so great you can both learn together.  When things go right you can celebrate together!

Only thing I will say is I typically dye first, then cut out my shapes, but it worked for you on this project.  On wallets and such, with smaller pieces, you can get shrinkage after dyeing and sometimes it messes up your project.  For that reason I always do it first, then buff it out with carnauba creme or similar and then lay out my templates or whatever.

49 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Awesome!  Best part is the camaraderie and the bonding time.  When things don't go so great you can both learn together.  When things go right you can celebrate together!

Only thing I will say is I typically dye first, then cut out my shapes, but it worked for you on this project.  On wallets and such, with smaller pieces, you can get shrinkage after dyeing and sometimes it messes up your project.  For that reason I always do it first, then buff it out with carnauba creme or similar and then lay out my templates or whatever.

So you tool after you dye? Or before you cut?

Ed, that’s a great looking holster for your first ever attempt!  I agree with Tugadude that what you probably enjoy most is the time spent working on the project with your son.  When my son was younger he was my sidekick on just about every woodworking/home repair/shooting expedition.  Now he is married and gone on his own but I have many good memories of all the projects we completed together.

Keep up the good work!

Gary

Wheel guns Rock! Nice holster for it.

Last minute change to leave the bottom open? 

Edited by hawgrider

Looks like yer gittin' the basics down, and certainly a boy kin be learnin' worse things at that age!  Now, let's git one them there coasters under that drink before Mom comes round.   Better yet, maybe git in the habit of keeping the drink on a different table where it kaint git tipped on the leather ;)

Edited by JLSleather

14 hours ago, AbileneEd said:

So you tool after you dye? Or before you cut?

You bring up a good point.  When I looked at the holster I mainly saw stamping and yes, I sometimes stamp after I apply the dye.  But carving is obviously different if you cut deep enough to expose flesh where the dye didn't penetrate.  In that case you would dye after.  If doing a wallet with carving on the exterior then it would be appropriate to dye it after you are finished, but the interior could be dyed prior to cutting to maintain size and shape.

On 2/11/2019 at 5:30 PM, garypl said:

Ed, that’s a great looking holster for your first ever attempt!  I agree with Tugadude that what you probably enjoy most is the time spent working on the project with your son.  When my son was younger he was my sidekick on just about every woodworking/home repair/shooting expedition.  Now he is married and gone on his own but I have many good memories of all the projects we completed together.

Keep up the good work!

Gary

Thank you! Couldn't have done it without this forum.  There is alot of truth in that statement about the boy.  He is the youngest of 4 so I've got a little of both going on. 

Talk soon.

-Ed

On 2/12/2019 at 6:33 AM, hawgrider said:

Wheel guns Rock! Nice holster for it.

Last minute change to leave the bottom open? 

Punched the holes for decorative lace.  Finished it after the photo.  Will post the sheened product when I get to the house.

Thank you!

On 2/12/2019 at 6:52 AM, JLSleather said:

Looks like yer gittin' the basics down, and certainly a boy kin be learnin' worse things at that age!  Now, let's git one them there coasters under that drink before Mom comes round.   Better yet, maybe git in the habit of keeping the drink on a different table where it kaint git tipped on the leather ;)

JL, it's a Tervis so it doesn't sweat.... Also, the contents of said sweat-free container were likely the most important tool up there!!!!! haha

On 2/12/2019 at 7:08 AM, Tugadude said:

You bring up a good point.  When I looked at the holster I mainly saw stamping and yes, I sometimes stamp after I apply the dye.  But carving is obviously different if you cut deep enough to expose flesh where the dye didn't penetrate.  In that case you would dye after.  If doing a wallet with carving on the exterior then it would be appropriate to dye it after you are finished, but the interior could be dyed prior to cutting to maintain size and shape.

I was asking because (rookie mistake) I slathered about half a bottle of Fieblings Medium on the thing and lost some tooling, and took a week to dry.  Working on another now and WON'T make that mistake again!!!!!

Excellent work for your first and I agree its wonderful to see a son and father team at work. My son keeps threatening to want to learn but...then there is gaming so ya know....

As for some of the process discussion... for holsters I:

• cut
  • tool
  • then dye but YES do not soak it in die or you loose some of the crispness
  • then assemble, rivet, etc.
  • and I usually go once more with the colour after the wet forming while still damp - assuming I did lace or use contrasting thread colour.

Only thing I would have done other than you did is run some boarder stamping or a bead around the edge of the flap and loop band but that's just my aesthetic.. nothing wrong with your clean look.

Looking forward to more from your shop.

And YES WHEEL GUNS RULE.. here are my favourites:

20151003_131815_resized.jpg

Plinker - those are nice looking sixguns!  My favorites as well.  I recently picked up three Colt SAA revolvers in almost new condition for a good price.  A pair in .45 Colt with 4-3/4” barrels and a .357 with 4-3/4” barrels.  Holsters for these are on my project list!

Gary

Great work on that holster.

yes wheel guns are fun!

I have a pair of stainless Ruger Vaqueros in .357 for Cowboy Single Action.

Well the Colts and Rugers are a step or three above my Piettas as lovely as they look and run... they do the job... also a Cowboy Action Shooter.

And seeing this holster and pistol pair by AbileneEd and Son I  am feeling like they need some new leather...