garypl

A Couple of Knife Sheaths

Just returned from a trip to Japan and China and picked up some Japanese cutlery while I was in Tokyo area.  These knives are razor sharp and came with a plastic sleeve that will probably be slit open after a couple of days, so I made sheaths to protect them.

Used W&C 8oz for one sheath and some old Tandy 8-10oz for the darker sheath.  Quick and simple but will protect the blades.

What's cool is that they will engrave your name when you purchase the knife.  We had English name on one side of the handle and a Japanese translation on the opposite side.  At least I think that’s what it says, but who knows, it might say “Made in Japan” for all I know!:)

Gary

73F0E7E9-8220-4168-9FF8-09D86EBD488E.jpeg

D816285D-5FD4-4EDC-AFAE-F1AA1EE33F6E.jpeg

Nice.

Thanks Mutt and Bryan!

I sewed these on the CB4500 using 207 thread top and bottom.

I use the smaller machines with 69 & 92 threads, but when I get a bit of free time I want to try 138 in the Consew machine.

Gary

Very nice!  Nice knives too!

I'm digging the Japanese steel and envy your trip.  Love the hard edges and thinner blades. A dream to sharpen.

Oh, the sheath is really nice too!  :-)

7 hours ago, Smartee said:

Very nice!  Nice knives too!

Thanks!

6 hours ago, GeneH said:

I'm digging the Japanese steel and envy your trip.  Love the hard edges and thinner blades. A dream to sharpen.

Oh, the sheath is really nice too!  :-)

Thanks Gene - I also looked at a skiving knife when I was at the knife shop - was @6” long with an angled blade - no handle - but they wanted @$300 for it!  (I didn’t buy it)

That is how I got started in leather working, I bought a 60 dollar belt from a shop on internet. I was verly upset with the workmanship. I hand sew all the belts ,wallets, messinger bags, and etc. I have a cowboy CB227R. I don’t use it much, I just like hand sewing.