Soky1972

Sewing Cordura with 206rb

So I've been wanting to start sewing my own small packs so I've been reading and watching videos then picked up a Consew 206rb-5 and added a speed reducer. My next question is my needle selection for sewing bonded nylon into 1000D Cordura and also sewing a little leather as well. Any recommendations on thread and needle sizes/types would be greatly appreciated. Also what is the thin foam backing called that's often used in backpacks and straps that's machine washable? 

This is a good guide to thread and relevant needle size

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

Sorry, welcome to the forum

Edited by chrisash

I use ripstop nylon a fair bit and use bonded Coates Dabond polyester rather then bonded nylon. I find the bonded polyester comes off the spool / bobbin more evenly and is less springy then bonded nylon. It is also supposedly has better resistance to UV for outdoor use. I know from experience on my stuff that it does withstand multiple washing in beach and drying then bonded nylon. I would suggest that you try a comparison of both thread types for your stuff and see which thread type works best.

Most times I use V69 with a #18 needle but if the stuff also incorporates high density rubber or other material I move up in thread and needle size.

What I can tell you is that you will need at least three or four layers of material to give you a nice looking seam. The nicest seams I seem to be able to get is with double fold ripstop binding for the edges.

kgg

I think the foam you are looking for is called eva foam. It is a closed cell foam that you may find under another name.