I have just gotten a hold of an old but in working condition Singer 17 - 16 sewing machine (with reverse function). I am struggling to find much more info on the machine than what is stated in the manual which was written quite some time ago. Could someone who owns this machine or has worked on one tell me anything about what kind of needle to use (the manual states 16x2 if anyone can de-code that for me!) and what kind of thread to use?

Thank you so much!

Unless you have a special requirement for something else bonded nylon is the de facto standard thread these days for work in leather and thick fabric. The thickest the 17 class can usually use is v69/tkt40 which is widely and readily available in a huge range of colours. Some subclasses of 17, and some individual machines, can use thicker thread on top.

16x2 is the needle system and widely available. You have a wide range of sizes and needle points to choose from, which is mostly dependent on the thread size and material into which you are sewing. Always choose a quality brand of needle (Groz Beckett, Scmetz, Organ), the small premium is always worth it.

What do you want to do/make with your machine?

These manuals may be useful.  The Service Manual among other topics discusses needle classes and sizes, also needle size vs thread size..... pages 6 and 7.

http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERSERVICE/17-Inst.pdf

http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERPARTS/17-1 - 17-18.pdf

16 X 2 is the class of needle the 17-16 machine uses for leather goods, 16X1 is for cloth goods..  The class has to do with the length, point, etc. of the needle.  Others who know for sure may comment.  Within those classes are the sizes (diameters) of the needles that were available..  They are sizes 7 through 25, excluding 15 and 20.

The service manual and parts manual are invaluable.

Edited by Evo160K