AndyNext

Boxed corners on a duffle/weekender

I am planning to make a duffle/weekender bag from veg tan shoulder, as I'd like to dye and finish the leather myself. The design I'm adapting is a turned bag and so has boxed corners.

What weight of veg tan shoulder leather is it feasible to use in a turned bag? I would like to use about 2-2.5mm/5-6oz but I'm unsure whether it will be too stiff to create the boxed corners.

What is everyone's experience?

I've previously done boxed corners on tote bags and a dopp kit, but these were all constructed using a softee finished veg tan.

All thoughts and advice gratefully received :)

5/6 oz. leather is fine especially if it is a decent sized bag.  I did a mailbag style briefcase for my son in that weight.  It was a combination turned out and exterior stitched bag and while it wasn't a walk in the park, it was doable.

Here is said bag.  You can see the thickness inside.  This is buffalo culatta from Springfield Leather.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I appreciate the comment.  My son is away at college and needed a large computer bag.  He has a gaming laptop which is a little over 17" I believe.  It has held up great for the last 3 years.  Rugged was a necessity.  The clasp is holding up great and that was the main thing I thought I would need to replace.

I am currently making a weekender bag with boxed corners. After trying out some simple prototypes I decided to abandon the idea of using veg-tan and went with chrome-tan. If you are set on veg-tan I, as previous writer said, believe it is doable but I would avoid anything thicker than 4-5 oz. Maybe you could also consider a veg-tan with softer temper?