GregS

"Must have" stamps?

I'm starting to be interested in doing some stamping.  I briefly looked at the stamps when I was in the Tandy store the other day and there must be 200 different stamps available just from Tandy.  Unlike most new leather crafters, I'm not independently wealthy.  ;)  But as I look at the various videos on stamping, there seems to be a handful of stamps that a lot of people are using for the majority of their stamping, a beveler, a veiner, a camouflage tool and a pear shader.

What do you feel are must have stamps that every leatherworker should have in their tool roll?  Could be that

Ha! the slippery slope of "must have"

30 minutes ago, kiwican said:

Ha! the slippery slope of "must have"

Yeah, I can see that.  I guess a better question would be:

Which stamps would you get first?

Some bevelers. A few good ones and you'll be set.

9 minutes ago, GregS said:

Yeah, I can see that.  I guess a better question would be:

Which stamps would you get first?

Totally depends on where your interest is. As I look down at my wrist brace I see a veiner tool, a seeder and a sunburst and a pear shader. I have several types of each and find I use those a lot

just to get going so you can try a few "styles" I would suggest;

• basket weave
  • camo or boarder stamp
  • beveler
  • pear shader
  • viener
  • seeder
  • camel toe
  • a geometric figure carving stamp in a triangular or Christmas tree shape comprised of lines... you will know then when you see them. They look nice alternated with the camo/boarder stamp
  • one geometric stamp that catches your eye

and if only one of each then get the medium size and you can muck around a fair bit - if two of each then med and small

you can do some basic floral work and mix and match and get creative for boarder work and funky fill work

Hope this helps

On 2/12/2019 at 8:46 PM, kiwican said:

As I look down at my wrist brace I see a veiner tool, a seeder and a sunburst and a pear shader. I have several types of each and find I use those a lot

So, are you talking a carpal tunnel wrist brace?  I've never thought of making one of those.  A good friend has to wear one all the time and that would be a cool gift.  Happen to know where to find a pattern?

For what it's worth, I stop into Tandy every week or so to look around.  I pick up a stamp or 2 each time I'm in there. I went through their web page and put the numbers of the stamps I'd like to get in Evernote.  Then just check them off the list 1 at a time.

Kinda depends on what type of tooling you wanna do.

Bevelers are used for every stamping, tooling or carving.  Steep slope smooth are the most useful.  Textured add nice dimension.  

If you get any kind of figure stamp or basket weave, you will need at least one camo or border stamp

If you plan on doing any Sheridan style, you will need the basic 7 set: Bevel, camo, pear, seeder, background, crescent, veiner.  Most Sheridan also incorporates a mule foot.

Some people develop a collector or hoarder mentality.   For instance I have at least 18 different basket weave stamps.  Straight, slanted, X-small, small, medium, large, X-large, traditional, tri-weave, celtic, star, etc.  Ebay can feed that beast only too well.  At last count I have over 300 different stamps.

On 2/25/2019 at 3:30 PM, resqman said:

Kinda depends on what type of tooling you wanna do.

Bevelers are used for every stamping, tooling or carving.  Steep slope smooth are the most useful.  Textured add nice dimension.  

If you get any kind of figure stamp or basket weave, you will need at least one camo or border stamp

If you plan on doing any Sheridan style, you will need the basic 7 set: Bevel, camo, pear, seeder, background, crescent, veiner.  Most Sheridan also incorporates a mule foot.

Some people develop a collector or hoarder mentality.   For instance I have at least 18 different basket weave stamps.  Straight, slanted, X-small, small, medium, large, X-large, traditional, tri-weave, celtic, star, etc.  Ebay can feed that beast only too well.  At last count I have over 300 different stamps.

My advice is to:

Go to a business that installs granite countertops and ask to take a small (at least 12"x12") piece of granite.

From Tandy get the $70.00 set (55402-00) Deluxe Carving Leathercraft Set.

Follow the instructions and watch lots of videos online.

Buy project kits of things to make for yourself and family and do them.

If you have a local Tandy, go to their free classes.

Only add tools as you need them.

Ebay is a great place to pick up used tools.  But watch the prices and shipping costs.

A Cautionary Tale

Hi,

My name is Dale and I'm a leather tool hoarder.

I am currently doing an inventory of my leather tools and this is what I have:

over 450 unique Craftool handle stamps

over 175 unique Craftool No-Letter stamps

All 84 of the Craftool Pro handle stamps

Around 200 Craft Japan stamps

Around 200 handle stamps that I don't know who made them

Every Craftool handle stamp set.

10 different zodiac stamp sets

701 2D/3D stamps (I am only missing 3 Craftool, 6 Leather Factory, and 32 Midas stamps)

All of the Craftool 2D/3D stamp sets

All of the Craftool and Midas alphabet and number stamp sets.  Plus over a dozen from other brands

In addition to all that is listed above.  I have over 1,000 duplicate handle stamps and over 1,400 duplicate 2D/3D stamps.  And that's after I donated hundreds of stamps to our local BSA council

I haven't even started on the rest of my tools yet.  But there are boxes of them.

But in my defense.  I was planning on doing some group classes for up to 40 kids and I didn't want to use my personal stamps.  

Yeah, that's my excuse.

Look around your house!  Several screwdrivers make great tools.  Flat blades can be lifters, star bits, for background, Philips bits are very interesting, and don't forget forks, spoons and knives with serrated edges.  You have all the tools you NEED in the house, and at NO cost!

Gotta a crescent wrench?  Good tool for a pear shader.

Oh, and bye the way,  I also own hundreds and hundreds of "store bought" tools.  Still use screw drivers when needed. 

Okay, you have a Tandy store nearby...

Ask them to show you the 6 basic stamps that come with their beginner's kit. That's the best place to start. They include a backgrounder, beveler, veiner, seeder, pear shader and camouflage stamp.

The next tool I bought after that was a basket weave stamp. Since I don't like doing basket weave, I've never used it! 

A mule foot stamp and a stop stamp are also a necessity if you are doing Sheridan carving, but as has been said above, a LOT depends on the type of carving/stamping that interests you.

I've been doing this for 3 years now, and currently have over 300 stamps... ;)