Alexis1234

Decorative stitching in silk thread

In several old trade journals and books I've seen mentioned  hand sewing leather with silk thread... has anyone done this? I want to try it for decorative stitching on harness. Any recommendations,  insight or hints? I realize this isn't probably done much anymore, but thought I would inquire. Thanks!

I've never used silk, but I sometimes do some "fancy stitching" using different colours or stitches.

Others also do appliqué patterns.

Essentially, a lot of the basic techniques for fancy stitching are the same as for embroidery.

On my pinterest board, I have some examples of the stitching I use. https://pin.it/nmgmi2q64nv42h

Thanks for sharing the link to your Pinterest board.  Very nice collection of decorative stitching and when I clicked on one of the examples it brought up a ton of cool ideas on small leather goods and gadgets such as cord (ear bud) holders and the like.

My opinion is that adding a bit of flair is always nice so long as it is appropriate for the item in question.  In other words, sometimes less is more and the item would suffer from adding superfluous adornments.  But at times a piece can be made to pop with the addition of something out of the ordinary.  Sometimes that is a unique inlay, sometimes it is a color contrast and sometimes it is decorative stitching.

What I would urge Alexis to do is to explore a "look" and to consider adopting it and incorporating it whenever it makes sense.  In that way you establish your "brand" and there is continuity from item to item.  

Regarding silk, remember you said old journals.  Maybe back then colors were mainly to be found in silk whereas these days you can get linen in any color under the sun probably.  So whether linen or silk, you can do what you need with either one I suppose.  I'm not a thread historian.  Is that even a thing?  lol, good luck.

Thank you for the replies. I looked at the pintrest board- lots of ideas! What I had in mind was the inner stitching row on winkers, face drops and perhaps saddle tops. I was curious as to what effect the old harness makers were getting with silk thread that was different from linen? From what I've researched it's supposed to be very glossy... I just wonder what that looks like against leather and how it holds up to sunlight?

I always assumed that silk is stronger than linen so it would be possible to use a smaller thread/finer stitch using silk.  It is also probably dressier in appearance. That is all pure speculation. Somewhere I've seen mention of silk carriage thread. . .of course it's quite possible it was in an old book or journal, but I can't say that I've ever seen it.

I'm curious enough  that I'm going to order a skein... From what I've researched I need "flat filament" silk. I want to know if it makes that much difference with hand stitching ( the look)or if it's all hype. I do intend to do smaller stitching- maybe 12 or 14 spi. I do 9 or 10 stitches per inch with hand sewing now.