I've been a certified instructor in a number of things. I'm NOT an instructor in leatherwork. However, as in many other things, I can remember what I had trouble with, and what helped me. 

When I see someone having issues with something that I recently had trouble with, I can relate to them what I found that helped. That is the extent to what I will expound upon. It's like when people have said, "you don't have kids, what could you know?"  Well, I remember when I was a kid, and that is far more important. I know what worked with me, and what didn't. 

I have learned more on this forum than the many videos linked to. Second, would be the video links. Wow, how did people do this without the internet? If a new member asks a question about something I struggled with, I don't hesitate to put my two cents worth on what worked for me. It may not work for them, but I feel they deserve an opinion from another newbie, that has found a way that worked, and may allow them to continue on their journey. I would NEVER offer advice on something that I don't yet have a clue about. I do, however, admit that others might not be that honest.

It's like anything...ANYTHING on the internet...take it for what it is, and apply the smell test.

Jeff

Oh, and thank you all for all your advice on this forum! I couldn't have done it, whatever IT is, without you! I mean that.

Edited by alpha2

11 hours ago, alpha2 said:

I've been a certified instructor in a number of things. I'm NOT an instructor in leatherwork. However, as in many other things, I can remember what I had trouble with, and what helped me. 

When I see someone having issues with something that I recently had trouble with, I can relate to them what I found that helped. That is the extent to what I will expound upon. It's like when people have said, "you don't have kids, what could you know?"  Well, I remember when I was a kid, and that is far more important. I know what worked with me, and what didn't. 

I have learned more on this forum than the many videos linked to. Second, would be the video links. Wow, how did people do this without the internet? If a new member asks a question about something I struggled with, I don't hesitate to put my two cents worth on what worked for me. It may not work for them, but I feel they deserve an opinion from another newbie, that has found a way that worked, and may allow them to continue on their journey. I would NEVER offer advice on something that I don't yet have a clue about. I do, however, admit that others might not be that honest.

It's like anything...ANYTHING on the internet...take it for what it is, and apply the smell test.

Jeff

Oh, and thank you all for all your advice on this forum! I couldn't have done it, whatever IT is, without you! I mean that.

Like you, I am a certified instructor in a number of things, and I am compelled to teach in nearly every endeavor in which I participate.  Without people like you willing to share what you know, this craft would have stagnated long ago, and it almost did by all accounts of the old-timers who were there.  Fortunately, as Bobby Park says, there has been a renaissance in leather work in recent years and we have all benefitted from it.

My original post stemmed from a series of posts from south breathers who offer one word answers that are less than helpful, or those who just give out bad info.  As you said, the smell test.  In no way did I mean to suggest that we all shouldn't share our knowledge.  This seems to be a FB phenomenon more than here for sure.  

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

Fortunately, as Bobby Park says, there has been a renaissance in leather work in recent years and we have all benefitted from it.

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

My original post stemmed from a series of posts from south breathers who offer one word answers that are less than helpful, or those who just give out bad info.  As you said, the smell test.  In no way did I mean to suggest that we all shouldn't share our knowledge.  This seems to be a FB phenomenon more than here for sure.  

Yes, leatherworking and other crafts are popular right now, with the good and bad that comes with it like atrocious quality items for sale online or hobbyists dumping prices. 

With more people to compete those with knowledge will be more hesitant to help out others even if that could be counterproductve (you gain skills when you teach etc).
I think that might be what you're reacting to on FB (and here).

An interesting read. I only give positive advise on this forum because I am no expert so I can only give the thumbs up when I see things that look good to me. I cant offer any technical advise.

It is interesting how even something as seemingly simple as burnishing can have people at odds. 

So I read these forums and try stuff and hopefully learn and improve

One thing I learned a long time ago was that I can learn something from anyone, even an idiot. That comment comes from the work place, not here.

Here I have seen complete novices produce really innovative designs. Even  with the obvious newbie flaws, the design, style, and execution all worked well together.

As for  seeing poor advice and techniques passed along in other places? Yep, it's rampant.

When it comes to my own advice here......

I will admit I find myself reading more than making. And, that has been the case over the last 4.5 years.

And yes I pass along advice that I have perused over several times. I only pass along what I know to be the "good stuff". Stuff from what I consider to be experts here.

Why do I do this? Because, I feel as an intermediate here that it relieves a little pressure from said experts answering the same thing over and over again. 

It's my way of giving back to this community for all that you have taught me. I know others here do this as well. 

I also, usually give some sort of disclaimer owing to the fact that I am not an expert on anything and encourage the inquirer to do their own tests.

And, I am more than happy to admit when I'm wrong. If you see me pointing someone in the wrong direction, call me out immediately. 

That way they (and I) will learn the correct method.

I'm just here to help and have fun.

3 hours ago, immiketoo said:

I suspect that one factor contributing to short incomplete answers could be attributed to people more and more using phones and tablets rather than computers with real keyboards!  Lets face it, onscreen keyboards are a pain to use!  I know I'm more inclined to comment when not using a mobile device.

- Bill

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

One thing I learned a long time ago was that I can learn something from anyone, even an idiot.

I'm just here to help and have fun.

There are reasons every village has to have one, and it's our responsibility to help that person recognize there is a village short one person... LOL.  

And "all I want to do is have some fun."  That's exactly my sentiment. Along the way I hope I can make someone's else a little easier and a little cheerier. 

On 2/15/2019 at 5:16 AM, hwinbermuda said:

...An interesting example is the recent query on stitching a belt loop for an ax head. Logically people advised "a" was better than "b" because of "reasons". Others suggested alternate methods...

If I may, I'll jump back to my hatchech belt loop thread as an example of really excellent collaboration of ideas and opinions that I'm grateful for. Another 2 good opinions popped up resulting in a redesign of the belt loop. I'm now encouraged instead of discouraged from that first attempt. 

This is what I strive for in my workplace, home, and these forums I haunt. The decisions are mine, and I can make better-fitting decisions when I have more information, both good and not-so-good.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:37 AM, alpha2 said:

Wow, how did people do this without the internet? If a new member asks a question about something I struggled with, I don't hesitate to put my two cents worth on what worked for me. It may not work for them, but I feel they deserve an opinion from another newbie, that has found a way that worked, and may allow them to continue on their journey. I would NEVER offer advice on something that I don't yet have a clue about.

I can very much relate to this , and many other comments on this thread. 

" Wow, how did people do this without the internet?"  I hear ya !!  They're called books :) , I read a lot of them ,I had no choice, I  had no internet  for a long time.However,I did have the yellow pages  and a land line ha ha!! and my local library had just one book on leather craft, ...that I borrowed several times :) And thank God for classifieds in the weekend paper....and a land line .

Many people will come to my stall or workshop  asking me how stuff was done. But like you said, what works for me, may not work for them , and may differ from what they may have  read elsewhere. 

To me there are no rules in leather work , only guides ,  as everyone has their own style, method or technique of doing things, something that I always  put across to those who ask about leathercraft  . Its called individuality  and leather craft so beautifully brings that out in all of us from newbies to the experienced .  Its the end result that counts. I'm just happy to part some advice to someone thats interested in working with leather and/or about to embark on a journey into leather. I'll tell them what  I have learnt , from my own experiences , suppliers etc. Enough to get them started. 

Great thread BTW :) 

HS

On 2/15/2019 at 11:37 PM, alpha2 said:

Wow, how did people do this without the internet?

This is how I did it...

and still do.:)

Before the internet 2.jpg

@billybopp has already written here about the inconvenience of the on-screen keyboard and that this often serves as a definite obstacle for expanded advice. I want to continue this thought.
Despite the fact that the forums are usually English-speaking, it have quite a few people who know English badly or very badly. For many, knowledge of the language (in combination with an automatic translator) is enough to understand what is written by others. But it is clearly not enough to write a text that is understandable and not misleading native speakers.
Even when I see that I could help with advice, I rarely do that. Not because I do not want, but for the reason described above. And if I try to advise, I feel that what I have written gives little benefit due to brevity and tongue-tiedness :(

16 minutes ago, ABHandmade said:

@billybopp has already written here about the inconvenience of the on-screen keyboard and that this often serves as a definite obstacle for expanded advice. I want to continue this thought.
Despite the fact that the forums are usually English-speaking, it have quite a few people who know English badly or very badly. For many, knowledge of the language (in combination with an automatic translator) is enough to understand what is written by others. But it is clearly not enough to write a text that is understandable and not misleading native speakers.
Even when I see that I could help with advice, I rarely do that. Not because I do not want, but for the reason described above. And if I try to advise, I feel that what I have written gives little benefit due to brevity and tongue-tiedness :(

If you want to, you can use, say Google translate, and post your own language, and the Google translate, as that may give a good enough message.

H

14 minutes ago, hwinbermuda said:

If you want to, you can use, say Google translate, and post your own language, and the Google translate, as that may give a good enough message.

H

I'm trying do it. For me, the scheme of making a comment consisting of more than 2-3 sentences looks something like this:
My text in Russian (or Ukrainian) is translated by Google Translator into English. Then - back translation into Russian (believe me, often the meaning of the text is distorted very much). Next - an attempt to correct the English text, using my poor knowledge, in order to return the original meaning of the comment. And only after that I post it in the forum :)

1 minute ago, ABHandmade said:

I'm trying do it. For me, the scheme of making a comment consisting of more than 2-3 sentences looks something like this:
My text in Russian (or Ukrainian) is translated by Google Translator into English. Then - back translation into Russian (believe me, often the meaning of the text is distorted very much). Next - an attempt to correct the English text, using my poor knowledge, in order to return the original meaning of the comment. And only after that I post it in the forum :)

You can PM the English to me if you like, and I will try to sense test it. I have a friend, fluent in English and Russian, and will ask him.

He translates Russian videos on leather machines for me.

H

1 minute ago, hwinbermuda said:

You can PM the English to me if you like, and I will try to sense test it. I have a friend, fluent in English and Russian, and will ask him.

He translates Russian videos on leather machines for me.

H

Thank you so much for your offer! I will try not to abuse :).