drool.gif.a28e983286fe2e99beab6aeaff689928.gif  Yup you did it again!!

Really awesome stuff!

47 minutes ago, JD62 said:

drool.gif.a28e983286fe2e99beab6aeaff689928.gif  Yup you did it again!!

Thanks! Made this one for my cousin’s kid. He’s a thunderball. I’ve still got my tooled belt from when I was a kid. Hope he keeps this one as a childhood momento. 

39 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

Really awesome stuff!

Thanks! I’m going to try to scale back production a bit to focus on improving quality. I got busy before trying to keep up with demand. It took all of the fun out of it, hurrying the artistic piece. Each one takes me a long time to make. 

A question for everyone; How owe long does it take for you to make a belt?

lol, it took me a year to make my first one...it was a lot of stitching and I haven't started my second, lmao. I know that doesn't help, just more for fun. Mine wasn't carved either, just lined. Most of that time was getting past the intimidation I felt, for some reason belts scared me. One little mistake on an inch isn't bad but propagate that sucker out 40-50 inches and you have a lot of scrap leather. That was my thinking anyhow. My next one won't be lined and I'll probably knock it out in a few hours, again, no decor though. 

Nailed the "badass", for sure!

47 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

lol, it took me a year to make my first one...it was a lot of stitching and I haven't started my second, lmao. I know that doesn't help, just more for fun. Mine wasn't carved either, just lined. Most of that time was getting past the intimidation I felt, for some reason belts scared me. One little mistake on an inch isn't bad but propagate that sucker out 40-50 inches and you have a lot of scrap leather. That was my thinking anyhow. My next one won't be lined and I'll probably knock it out in a few hours, again, no decor though. 

It’s time for me to make myself a new one. Been field testing my last one everyday for the last three years. It’s held up well, but my skill and tool chest has improved a bit since then. I like the way this one turned out. Maybe I’ll convert it to grown up size. 

40 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Nailed the "badass", for sure!

Watch out for that kid. Haha.

That is awesome!

Yeppers, another fantastic piece!  Awesome to see your work again.

3 hours ago, GrayHallidayJr said:

A question for everyone; How owe long does it take for you to make a belt?

Weeeellllll..... I cut the strap about 6 months ago, and have been pondering it ever since...  sketched a pattern for a guitar strap a few moons ago... also still pondering it and haven't cut the leather yet... so maybe a few years?  When I finish one, I'll have a definitive answer for ya!

3 hours ago, GrayHallidayJr said:

I’ve still got my tooled belt from when I was a kid. Hope he keeps this one as a childhood momento. 

I came across my tooled belt a year ago, and it looks entirely hand tooled, I think.  And it is pretty well detailed also.  Makes me wonder who did it!  I don't think I could duplicate it if I had to.

YinTx

18 hours ago, YinTx said:

Yeppers, another fantastic piece!  Awesome to see your work again.

Weeeellllll..... I cut the strap about 6 months ago, and have been pondering it ever since...  sketched a pattern for a guitar strap a few moons ago... also still pondering it and haven't cut the leather yet... so maybe a few years?  When I finish one, I'll have a definitive answer for ya!

I came across my tooled belt a year ago, and it looks entirely hand tooled, I think.  And it is pretty well detailed also.  Makes me wonder who did it!  I don't think I could duplicate it if I had to.

YinTx

Haha, I feel a lot better about how long it takes me to do a belt! Thanks for the encouragement. Re: the tooled belt, I have one that’s all hand tooled with my name stamped across the back. Stitched too. I had it done at a state fair in Indiana, as I recall. I can’t imagine someone on site banging out belts that quick! 

I've said it before and I'm going to keep on saying it because it's important for the craft to have examples of truly original styles.

"Gray, you have an original, unique style that's readily discernible in all your work.   To my way of thinking, that is as impressive as the work itself.   Actually......? it's more impressive.  Not to impune anyone else's work, just saying it's a fairly rare thing to see."

Have you considered a .licensing arrangement with Tandy?  I'm serious.  Their collection of 1964 same o' same o' is, well, lame and boring.   PM me if you're amenable toward something like that.  I can provide some info that could help in that regard.

On 2/22/2019 at 7:10 AM, cseeger said:

I've said it before and I'm going to keep on saying it because it's important for the craft to have examples of truly original styles.

"Gray, you have an original, unique style that's readily discernible in all your work.   To my way of thinking, that is as impressive as the work itself.   Actually......? it's more impressive.  Not to impune anyone else's work, just saying it's a fairly rare thing to see."

Have you considered a .licensing arrangement with Tandy?  I'm serious.  Their collection of 1964 same o' same o' is, well, lame and boring.   PM me if you're amenable toward something like that.  I can provide some info that could help in that regard.

Thank you! It’s such a generous compliment. It’s so gratifying when others enjoy your work. I feel like there’s still so much for me to learn. The work of others continues to inspire me to advance my skill. I’ll PM you, I’m open to any guidance/direction you might provide. That sounds like a dream.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:08 PM, GregS said:

Hank has a pretty cool belt.

Thank you, Sir.