Sign in to follow this  
raymiemack

Pfaff 145

Hi everyone, hope you are keeping well and busy and thank for allowing me to join you on here. 

I have just acquired a Pfaff 145 . The exact model is 145-H2-6/01.

The guy that I bought it from told me that it had been lying unused for a number of years and that he thought there was a problem with the feed mechanism. Unfortunately, I couldn't really try the machine properly before buying as the nut to adjust the top thread tension wouldn't tighten and also as I found out later there was a broken spring in the foot lift mechanism which was causing the tension to stay released even when the foot was down. However , without actually sewing anything it seemed to run fine so I took a chance as it was too good an opportunity to walk away from. 

So, having got the machine back to my upholstery workshop I replaced the tension nut and repaired (albeit temporarily) the broken spring, gave it a good clean and oiled it. The outcome is that it sews really nicely but I do feel that the guy may have been right when he said there was a problem with the feed.

Basically, the feed dog does not seem to run in an elliptical manner but just runs back and fore horizontally at more or less the same height if that makes sense.  As I say it still sews pretty good but I get the feeling it moves the material slightly forward prior to feeding it through in the normal manner....probably the presser foot is coming into contact with the feed dog a little too soon, but I would be grateful if anyone can advise on whether my feed dogs are moving in the correct manner for this machine and if not , how can I adjust them.  I can post a video later when I am at the workshop.

This won't be my main machine as it will be used in my garage where I am setting up an 'overflow' workshop where hopefully I can get peace to work without constant interruptions from customers :) 

I know this is a leatherworkers forum, I only work with leather maybe a couple of times a year but when I do, my Brother LS2  B837 copes admirably. 

Best Wishes

Ray

what else is in the model.  Should be some other letters

Do the feed dogs seem like they're set really high?  I've used machines that seemed to push the material forward slightly before feeding it backward.  After going through the entire timing and adjustment routine, it was just the feed dogs set too high.  That's the first thing I would check.

Is this a CLPMN version 145 or something else?  

Edited by Pintodeluxe

Some of these 145's are for binding & the feed dog didn't lift ,sounds like what you have.

17 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

what else is in the model.  Should be some other letters

Yeah, sorry, it also has BLN on it. 

12 hours ago, Pintodeluxe said:

Do the feed dogs seem like they're set really high?  I've used machines that seemed to push the material forward slightly before feeding it backward.  After going through the entire timing and adjustment routine, it was just the feed dogs set too high.  That's the first thing I would check.

Is this a CLPMN version 145 or something else?  

The feed dogs appeared normal height to me with the teeth just above the needle plate. The machine was used for upholstery by its previous owner where Im guessing it was used mainly for sewing fabric.

25 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

Some of these 145's are for binding & the feed dog didn't lift ,sounds like what you have.

Thanks, yes it seems that this may be the case. I did a search on here after my initial post and found another user with the same problem. If this is the case its not a major issue as it seems to sew ok. I was just concerned incase there was something wrong with the feed.  

As the machine was reasonable to buy and it's not my main machine, I am willing to compromise slightly as long as it does what I need it to do. The only other downside is that the size of the bobbin is a shock to the system after being so used to the large bobbin on my Brother 837. 

I am guessing that I could add parts to my machine to change the feed but iI would have to consider whether it was financially worthwhile or not. 

Thanks for the input. 

Edited by raymiemack
spelling

BLN     B class which is lighter weight, L means for sewing leather,  N means 6mm stitch length maximum.  No P which means no 4 motion drop feed so your feed dog will not drop and move up to meet needle, carrying stitch to back, drop away from item then move forward and come up to meet needle again.  Your have a scuff feed which means feed dog only moves forward and backward.  Used a lot in binders.

Also  no M which is safety clutch.

glenn

39 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

BLN     B class which is lighter weight, L means for sewing leather,  N means 6mm stitch length maximum.  No P which means no 4 motion drop feed so your feed dog will not drop and move up to meet needle, carrying stitch to back, drop away from item then move forward and come up to meet needle again.  Your have a scuff feed which means feed dog only moves forward and backward.  Used a lot in binders.

Also  no M which is safety clutch.

glenn

Thanks for taking the time to explain Glenn.

At least I now know that it is working as it should. My intention was for it to be used as a second machine in my garage for basic sewing of fabric panels or cushions....if it proves unsuitable I can always sell it on ....but based on my experience of using it so far it should be ok. 

Ray

Hi Ray

I have a PFAFF 145 H2, which I did find in a barn. After cleaning it, it now runs very nicely. I have three other 145s to fix, and I will do a final tour to the barn on Wednesday to pick up one or two more machines to be used for spares and a couple of tables.

I am not sure about the feed dog on your machine, and whether it is possible to swap parts to make to make it drop feed.

If you want to give it a try, please let me know. I will not charge you for the parts (if I find some on Wednesday) - only for the shipping.

Brgds

DanishMan

PS - my machine is this one

https://www.dba.dk/pfaff-145/id-1052788821/

1 hour ago, DanishMan said:

Hi Ray

I have a PFAFF 145 H2, which I did find in a barn. After cleaning it, it now runs very nicely. I have three other 145s to fix, and I will do a final tour to the barn on Wednesday to pick up one or two more machines to be used for spares and a couple of tables.

I am not sure about the feed dog on your machine, and whether it is possible to swap parts to make to make it drop feed.

If you want to give it a try, please let me know. I will not charge you for the parts (if I find some on Wednesday) - only for the shipping.

Brgds

DanishMan

PS - my machine is this one

https://www.dba.dk/pfaff-145/id-1052788821/

Hey Danish Man, 

That's a very kind offer....Only problem is I'm not sure what parts I would need but I would certainly be happy to give it a go.  I think someone posted the parts number on another post....will have a look. 

Thanks 

Ray