JamesR

Glued edges and finished edges.

I have been gluing and stitching edges for some time. I always assumed that the glue served two purposes. 

First, it keeps the pieces aligned while stitching.  

Second, it bonds the edges together so when they are burnished and waxed the seam stays closed up and looks like one piece. 

I am sure about the first purpose of glue but not so sure about the bonded edges for burnishing.

Can you still get good edges without glue?  What are your thoughts.  

Thanks

1 minute ago, JamesR said:

I have been gluing and stitching edges for some time. I always assumed that the glue served two purposes. 

First, it keeps the pieces aligned while stitching.  

Second, it bonds the edges together so when they are burnished and waxed the seam stays closed up and looks like one piece. 

I am sure about the first purpose of glue but not so sure about the bonded edges for burnishing.

Can you still get good edges without glue?  What are your thoughts.  

Thanks

best way is to know is trial and error, take a couple scrap pieces of veg, stitch it up and then cut a straight line a ways from the stitching, bevel/round your edges, wet, then burnish...I like to use as little glue on the edge as possible when burnishing as it can leave a visible line, not a problem if you're going to dye it dark, but for natural edges it depends on what you like.

I guess the 'no glue' option can work sometimes. The main consideration IMHO, would be 'Don't pull the stitching too tight', because tight stitching can open up the edge.

Also consider how firm the leather is, and maybe the use of the finished article.

Koreric75, 

Yes I am about to do just that and see how it comes out.

Rockoboy,

I see your point with not pulling too tight. I'm guessing that no matter how tight the edges are drawn together by the stitching eventually a gap will form. 

Not pulling too hard is important, but normal usage will also affect it.  You don't glue the edges on a belt or wallet all the way to the edge,. they will separate. Promisw

e

terrymac,

Not sure what you mean, are you saying they will separate on a belt or wallet even if you do glue them?

Thanks

No, I am saying if you don't glue all the way to the edge, you will a line of separation at some point in the future.  Hope this helps

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:08 PM, terrymac said:

if you don't glue all the way to the edge, you will a line of separation

I always glue right to the edge, but I try to make sure there's no globs of glue that will squeeze out. Squeeze-out can be removed by cutting away with a knife or scissors or by rubbing with dry canvas, but not having squeeze-out is best IMHO.

Depending on the colour of the edge, if the glue line is visible, I colour it with a Sharpie.