spacedog

Dice cups

One is a dragon lying on a pile gold, and the other is a chaplain from warhammer 40K. Getting the top and bottom to match in size is important so the fit is tight and it won't fall off. That, and having the right number of holes on the circles to match the sides, so the stitching is even. These were fun and fairly easy to make. The small bits of color were added at the end with acrylic, hobby store paint.

P1020268.JPG

P1020269.JPG

looks good, been needing to make some of these myself.

Nice! How did you work out the holes to match?

2 hours ago, Ragingstallion said:

looks good, been needing to make some of these myself.

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, kiwican said:

Nice! How did you work out the holes to match?

Thank you. I kind of did it on the fly. The dragon cup was just over eight inches long by three and a half high, and I put holes along the bottom about a quarter of an inch apart. Then I just counted the holes and put that many in the disc that was the bottom. Ha. It took a try or two to space those out by hand before I punched them. The stitching on the body of the cup took a little planning ahead, something I don't do much of, because the cup is too skinny to fit my hand inside. I ended up loosely threading it all and pulling it tight like a shoe.

The 40K cup is shorter and slightly bigger around. The lid has sixty holes around the outside and only thirty on the disc, just to get the stitching to look the way it does.

Here are the sketches since I forgot to take pictures of the leather while it was flat.

IMG_4952.JPG

I'm working on a third one. The transition from dark to light is making it a bit challenging.

IMG_4953.JPG

Thanks for sharing.  If you get the chance, I'd like to see the interior of the cups along with the seam on the outside.  Curious is you used a baseball stitch or what.

thanks!

3 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Thanks for sharing.  If you get the chance, I'd like to see the interior of the cups along with the seam on the outside.  Curious is you used a baseball stitch or what.

thanks!

No problem. Well, except for my lack of photography skills. Here are the outside seams.

P1020270.JPG

Here is the inside.

P1020272.JPG

Here is the last dice cup. I messed up the stitching a bit, but on the whole it turned out okay.

P1020271.JPG

Thanks, I always like to see all of the little details.  Great job on those.

2 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Thanks, I always like to see all of the little details.  Great job on those.

Thanks.

On 2/18/2019 at 1:11 PM, kiwican said:

Love the sun !

Thanks.

I've started making another one inspired by some artwork of Cthulhu in the game Darkest Dungeon. I am tempted to dye it red, but green is probably what it will end up.

P1020273.JPG

Nice work! Custom dice cups rock the gaming tables... :guitar:

I did something similar some years back, in a larger size, and using a (not very skillful) butt stitch: http://djole.altervista.org/djole/Publications/Leather/TomsTower/TomDragon.htm

15 hours ago, DJole said:

Nice work! Custom dice cups rock the gaming tables... :guitar:

I did something similar some years back, in a larger size, and using a (not very skillful) butt stitch: http://djole.altervista.org/djole/Publications/Leather/TomsTower/TomDragon.htm

Thanks. Yours is very cool too. It is fun to make these small projects and do some figure carving.

I've decided to go with green, which I find a bit difficult, but Cthulhu is watching...

P1020275.JPG

The dye worked out pretty good. I used a fine brush to add the black dye in the details, once the green was dry, and the copper is acrylic paint. Next I have to make the lid.

P1020280.JPG

P1020279.JPG

On 2/24/2019 at 7:53 PM, kiwican said:

That came out awesome !

Thanks again for the feedback, @kiwican

It is always fun when you can turn an idea into something you can hold. For this dice cup I want to go over the top and make the lid something other than tooled leather, something closer to, well, something creepy or strange. I crunched all the photos into a single image to show how I did it, but first I'll give you a rundown. I painted an "eye" on a piece of paper, glued it to the back of a glass bead, and then glued that to the leather lid. I have some scraps of black pigskin and cut one to fit over the bead and two more as folds to put around it. I glued those in place in stages, meaning I only put glue, contact cement, on small areas of the leather parts at a time. That way I could pull on the leather to stretch it to where I want it. Once the contact cement grabs hold you can't move it, so if I had tried to glue it all in one go, it would take a lot of luck to get it the way I wanted it. Anyway, this lid is a long ways from done, but here is what it looks like for now.

I would love to know what you think, and thanks for following along.

IMG_4967.JPG

Nice. I like how you created the bezel on that eye. Looks great 

On 2/26/2019 at 4:56 PM, kiwican said:

Nice. I like how you created the bezel on that eye. Looks great 

Thanks.

Well, here is the end results. I am pleased with the outcome. If anyone has any critiques or questions, they are welcome.

P1020293.JPG

P1020294.JPG

P1020292.JPG

I love that eyeball! You really knocked that one out of the park. 

On 3/3/2019 at 11:22 AM, DJole said:

I love that eyeball! You really knocked that one out of the park. 

Thanks.

On 3/3/2019 at 1:03 PM, kiwican said:

Nailed it

Thank you.

I've given them to my sons and friends.

Oh wow!  That's awesome!