spacedog

Dice cups

On 4/24/2019 at 9:02 AM, GregS said:

Great work, I love that eye.  I'm going to have to give that a shot

Thanks.

I've started another dice cup inspired by the art of Darkest Dungeon. Here is a work in progress picture.

IMG_5041.JPG

Work in progress on this dice cup. I dyed it dark brown, but wasn't happy with the results. So I have been painting it with acrylic hobby store paint. The crest has worked out well and the dungeon wall is coming along. I have yet to draw or design the lid.

IMG_5047.JPG

IMG_5049.JPG

23 hours ago, kiwican said:

Looks great

Thanks. I'm glad you like it.

I've just about finished it now. I'm trying to find something that will help ensure the paint doesn't wear off, and also won't make it too shiny. Overall, I'm fairly happy with how it has turned out. I really need to work on my stitching though. Here are the results.

IMG_5057.JPG

IMG_5055.JPG

Edited by spacedog

Great looking job. How have you stitched the vertical seam on the cup?

My 1st attempt came out 'functional, but incomplete', as I have only glued the base in so far, more effort to come.

I also used chrome tanned leather, so I won't be carving it, but proof of purpose has been achieved, so I will be making further dice cups in the future.

12 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Great looking job. How have you stitched the vertical seam on the cup?

My 1st attempt came out 'functional, but incomplete', as I have only glued the base in so far, more effort to come.

I also used chrome tanned leather, so I won't be carving it, but proof of purpose has been achieved, so I will be making further dice cups in the future.

Thanks. The vertical seam on this cup is different than all the previous ones. I posted photos of those earlier in this thread. This time I made a mistake though. I didn't measure the circumference of the bottom carefully enough and the barrel ended up too long so that it overlapped around. I had a dilemma whether to throw away the bottom or leave it overlapped and I chose the latter. Anyways, the seam overlaps. It's badly done. Ha! 

Dice cups are fun to make and my nerd friends like them. I look forward to seeing what you make.

Cruising through forums I haven’t paid much attention to here tonight and ran across this. These cups are really great, @spacedog! Got any more to share?

I'm very impressed with your leatherwork, your photography and your ability to describe how you did your work.  It was a pleasure to read everything as you progressed.

On 5/17/2020 at 3:24 AM, Retswerb said:

Cruising through forums I haven’t paid much attention to here tonight and ran across this. These cups are really great, @spacedog! Got any more to share?

Thanks. I haven't made any more dice cups yet, but when I do I'll add them here. I thought about doing some for games that require lots of dice like Warhammer (they have different factions or armies so you could make a variety) or maybe with art inspired by the different D&D campaigns (they have published dozens to choose from). Table top gamers love their dice.

On 5/17/2020 at 4:49 AM, AzShooter said:

I'm very impressed with your leatherwork, your photography and your ability to describe how you did your work.  It was a pleasure to read everything as you progressed.

Thanks very much. 

On 2/26/2019 at 10:53 PM, spacedog said:

I would love to know what you think, and thanks for following along

Creepy but great!

I haven’t posted for quite a while, but then also haven’t done much leatherwork either. I did, however, make another dice cup for gaming tables. The method is very similar to what I have posted here previously. Tooled leather, dyed and then finished with acrylic paint. 

B4F33403-09C8-43F0-AB08-B2802E36C98B.jpeg

AWESOME work !!!!  

I don't do the box stitch because I am no good at it .  If I lay out my stitching holes on the body piece while it is flat , can I then just punch through those with an awl to get inside holes once I have formed and sewn the body up  ?????????

On 6/17/2023 at 10:01 AM, Gezzer said:

AWESOME work !!!!  

I don't do the box stitch because I am no good at it .  If I lay out my stitching holes on the body piece while it is flat , can I then just punch through those with an awl to get inside holes once I have formed and sewn the body up  ?????????

Thanks Gezzer. I don’t know what the stitches are called. Ha. I tend to sew the seam to make the tube first, then I sew in the bottom. The needle to sew the bottom is going diagonally thru both pieces so I don’t have to reach into the cup until I want to tie it off. Which makes the last stitch a real pain in the butt. I was thinking of making another one soon. I will post it here if and when it is done.