Bender

Fringe/Tassle

We need to make fringe that would then be rolled into cylinder to make a tassle.   But we want to make it with a strand size only about 3/32" across. I've even come up with a way to do it on my own, and it did work on the "heavier" 3oz -5oz. So we're trying my method on some thin 2oz garment leather. We want them to be really wiggly. (It's part of a jewelry design my wife wants to make.) But my method just isn't gettin' it.

What I did was make a template of a series of super skinny slots and using a rotary cutter, we cut the fringe. Like I said fine on the heavier stuff, but the thin garment leather actually squirms around under the template even worse. The strands are really bad looking, 

I did try clamping a stack of single edge razor blades together, but that was just hopeless from the get go.

So now I'm wondering is there a method or tool, either home made or to be bought that would do such small fringe strand size?

I'd stick light leather, such as thin deerskin or pigskin. to a piece of compressed card using a rubber based glue such as Copydex, which doesn't soak into the leather and can be peeled off cleanly, then use something like this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vegetable-Food-Onion-Cutter-Slicer-Peeler-Shredder-Chopper-Kitchen-Gadget-Tool/202320963691?epid=15013120665&hash=item2f1b44e86b:g:qGMAAOSwgTJbBgwy:rk:1:pf:1

Its actually for slicing food. It cuts strips about 2.5mm wide*. I tried it on leather and it works fine, I've also used it to cut strips of polmerclay. You might be able to get one of these slicers locally if you can't wait on the slow-boat [literally] from China

* I'm guessing as I can't remember the exact size, the strips might be only 2mm wide. Just about right for a leather tassel tho

Edited by fredk

Try cutting your leather about 1/2 inch longer than needed. Then cut the fringe, leaving that extra length on the bottom uncut. That way every thing stays straight and even. When all the fringe is cut, cut off the extra length, leaving the fringe the right length. I hope I explained that clearly enough.

Oh thank you BOTH! :)

I had already thought of glue, such as a spray adhesive, but I figured I would still wind up with residue stuck on the leather. And the cutter you linked is exactly what I was trying to do with stacked razor blades! Also keeping the ends "bound" together then cutting one end free after cutting will surely help resist "squirm"! 

At the risk of looking for a sledgehammer to crack a walnut, have you considered a cutting die/press knife? I suppose it depends on the quantity you want to make but it sounds like an ideal situation for such a thing. The leather wouldn't have a chance to move about, there would be no fiddling for each tassel and you'd get perfect accuracy and repeatability each time. You'd also not need very much press at all for a small knife -- arbor press, bearing press, even a workshop vice might well do. My first press knife I made do with a nylon hammer before I got a press and results were... acceptable.

Check out the usual suspects on aliexpress, etsy etc, there's a lot of Chinese sellers who make inexpensive press knives. There might even be an "off the shelf" design that would suit you.

17 hours ago, TSes said:

Try cutting your leather about 1/2 inch longer than needed. Then cut the fringe, leaving that extra length on the bottom uncut. That way every thing stays straight and even. When all the fringe is cut, cut off the extra length, leaving the fringe the right length. I hope I explained that clearly enough.

I really like this idea.  You could go a step further if you want and make the top a tad longer, allowing it to be glued to a piece of card stock and glue the entire bottom piece to the card stock  That way there is little chance of shifting.  Then when the slits are cut you cut the bottom off, cut off the top to the glue line and you are all set.  If you don't want to use glue I'm sure it could be clamped in some fashion as well.

Before I went the clicker die way, when I used to cut my fringe by hand I had the same problem you are having. Our solution was to put the leather on contact paper. Then cut using your template with the rotary cutter. This will stop the leather from moving around on you.

On 2/17/2019 at 6:07 PM, Bender said:

We need to make fringe that would then be rolled into cylinder to make a tassle.   But we want to make it with a strand size only about 3/32" across. I've even come up with a way to do it on my own, and it did work on the "heavier" 3oz -5oz. So we're trying my method on some thin 2oz garment leather. We want them to be really wiggly. (It's part of a jewelry design my wife wants to make.) But my method just isn't gettin' it.

What I did was make a template of a series of super skinny slots and using a rotary cutter, we cut the fringe. Like I said fine on the heavier stuff, but the thin garment leather actually squirms around under the template even worse. The strands are really bad looking, 

I did try clamping a stack of single edge razor blades together, but that was just hopeless from the get go.

So now I'm wondering is there a method or tool, either home made or to be bought that would do such small fringe strand size?

use a rotary cutter an a strait edge I do this all the time.

Hey! Stuck on contact paper ain't a bad idea! 

Did use straight edge and rotary cutter. Definitely works. Found that method more time consuming. Hence the template. But it's all about trade offs isn't it? The template has the potential to be a lot faster, BUT only if I can deal with the leather squirming under the template.

We're still working on it off and on.

Could you not just cut the hangy bits with shears/scissors, using the Mk.1 eyeball for judging the width ?

By the way ~

On 2/18/2019 at 12:25 AM, fredk said:

I'd stick light leather, such as thin deerskin or pigskin. to a piece of compressed card using a rubber based glue such as Copydex, which doesn't soak into the leather and can be peeled off cleanly, . . . 

This is a bad idea. I tried it and I left the glue on too long and couldn't separate the leather from the card. I tried soaking the combo and most of the card came off but some remained as did the layer of glue.

Edit; This is my 1100th post! :banana:

Edited by fredk

13 hours ago, Bender said:

Hey! Stuck on contact paper ain't a bad idea! 

Did use straight edge and rotary cutter. Definitely works. Found that method more time consuming. Hence the template. But it's all about trade offs isn't it? The template has the potential to be a lot faster, BUT only if I can deal with the leather squirming under the template.

We're still working on it off and on.

Yes, Straight edge with a rotary cutter. I had me one of those clear plastic straight edges they make for quilting like the one linked below. Saved a ton of time as you could line up the lengthwise lines on it with your first line and then just keep moving it over one line. Hopefully that makes sense.

https://www.joann.com/o-lipfa-ruler-with-lip-edge/611186.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&source=TIS-S&WT.srch=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkOXxyc3U4AIVWCCtBh0wwQ4CEAQYAyABEgKy__D_BwE

To illustrate my idea a little clearer, this is one of many Chinese vendors which sells standard and customised clicker dies/press knives. In this case we have the less expensive plywood -backed type rather than the sturdier welded strip knife. They can be used with many different types of press (I use a £60 hydraulic bearing press with a loose mild steel offcut as a presser plate). They can also be used even simpler with just a soft-faced hammer. The OP's purpose might suit one of the standard off-the-shelf cutters.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-leather-tassels-made-Die-cut-knife-mould-hand-punch-tool-multi-size-for-option/32862265949.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.4.4e433eb7HJr9sI&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.112238.000000000000000&scm_id=1007.13338.112238.000000000000000&scm-url=1007.13338.112238.000000000000000&pvid=df9fd825-c3eb-4ede-bbdd-93861da93533