shadow1975

help with barry king tools

I love this site usually I  just look a lot and admire everyone's work.  I started leatherwork as a teenager but stopped in my 30,s I am 63 now my tools are tandy but the older and better ones.  I started back up about 7 yrs ago  my friends like my stuff but I know what it is lacking.  I want to get some barry king bevelers and a few other tools.  What bevelers and swivel knives would you guys recommend starting with.  thanks

I think Barry has  couple tool lists on his website.  The assortment depends on what you want to tool, e.g., geometric or basket designs vs. floral rolling. There are a lot of posts about swivel knife decisions. --John

ya that's when I got confused so may to choose from..lol thanks

If you are just doing floral the regular bevelers of Barry’s will be fine, if you are doing seridan I would go with the steep.  I prefer checkered surface but that’s just my personal choice either will work great!  I would start with 3 or 4 sizes from small to large, the extra large is good for long border lines but you can get by without that.  Barry also makes an excellent swivel knife for the money.  Blade size and barrel size is another personal preference.  Hope this helps.

yes thank you,  

I have a set of his 15 degree bevelers, and a set of his standard bevelers both with a checkered pattern they are all I use now and they are miles ahead of the Craftool Co. ones I was using before. I have several Barry King borders, geometrics,flower centers and basket weaves all are fine quality and leave a great imprint. I have several different swivel knives by other makers and a couple of weeks ago I bought a Barry King knife with a 3/8 barrel and a 1/4 inch angle blade. It is now my favorite , the narrow yoke fits my finger snugly and the small barrel surprisingly is easier on my arthritic hands.