garranaga

Box Type Speed Reducer

Where can I buy a Box Type Speed Reducer that fits under a JUKI 1508NH?

155099996_industrial-sewing-machine-speed-reducer-leather-.jpg

Cowboy Bob sells them at Toledo Sewing - see banner ad at top of this forum.

Gary

I highly recommend this type of speed reducer.  I've had the standard double wheel variety of speed reducer before, and depending on where it's mounted you may not be able to tip your machine head back.  With this box style reducer, everything sits in just the right spot.  No new holes in the table, and you can still tip your machine back normally.  They perform great!

I just purchased on of these, however there are no installation instructions. Anyone out there with at least a photo of the set up?  My local industrial sewing machine guy wasn’t very helpful.  Thanks. 

It mounts right where the servo motor mounts and the servo motor is moved to the bottom of the speed reducer.  Might have to get a different belt, but it’s very easy to install.

D00D0EE6-8267-4AF6-8695-E001BF9D7517.jpeg

D9B844B7-6697-42FA-A4D5-C6473B0F5418.jpeg

Don't know if there's a special reason for installing one of these but I always think there are easier things to try first. I replaced the handwheel  on my old Durkopp with a 170mm pulley and I can do one stitch at a time. The handwheel is just propped up there for perspective.1266561989_Jan18th2020stripebag008.thumb.JPG.b93035b258381ea984748a68a555199f.JPG

Thank you. The photos are very helpful. 

9 hours ago, LivesInIndy said:

I just purchased on of these, however there are no installation instructions. Anyone out there with at least a photo of the set up?  My local industrial sewing machine guy wasn’t very helpful.  Thanks. 

Did you call Ed down at Indianapolis sewing machine company?

@toxo where did you buy that that hand wheel? 

3 hours ago, aroh99 said:

@toxo where did you buy that that hand wheel? 

Can't remember now. locally I think but I'm in the UK. Look for a Taperlock V pulley and a Taperlock bush (15mm I think, I'll have to check)  but that was for my Durkopp. You'll need the bush that fits your machine. It's a simple job and I have to say finding and using the handwheel now whilst working is easier and it has more torque . Here's what they look like..

http://www.bearingshopuk.co.uk/belts/v-belt-pulleys/?pulley_pitch=24133

http://www.bearingshopuk.co.uk/belts/taperlock-bushes/?bush_series=24274

Can't remember why I went with 170mm OD, bigger equals slower. The pulley on my Jack servo motor is around 74mm OD (55mm ID). I have smaller pulleys that I would've tried but the Jack shaft is smaller. With the needle positioner and practice I can do one stitch almost all the time.:lol:

On 1/18/2020 at 1:03 PM, garypl said:

It mounts right where the servo motor mounts and the servo motor is moved to the bottom of the speed reducer.  Might have to get a different belt, but it’s very easy to install.

D00D0EE6-8267-4AF6-8695-E001BF9D7517.jpeg

D9B844B7-6697-42FA-A4D5-C6473B0F5418.jpeg

Where did you find it and about how much do they cost?

6 hours ago, Bmwmoa67707 said:

Where did you find it and about how much do they cost?

Call Bob Kovar at Toledo Sewing - 419-380-8540 - I believe they are @$200.

Hi guys,

just bought a Juki 1541 and wanted a speed reducer, then came across this topic.  In UK and previously cut my old Singer 58K45 table to fit a two pulley arrangement underneath.  Works well but had to make up my own belts.  This time I might try this gentleman’s big pulley to avoid cutting new table.   The pulley plus bush is quite cheap compared to box reducer with the US postage and import duties.  I wonder if anyone knows the hand wheel shaft Dia on the Juki 1541 so that I can order pulley and bush in anticipation of the arrival of new Juki?  
For info, on my old Singer I run a belt from the big wheel on the Singer handle to a small pulley  on the dual shaft.  Then another belt from the same shaft, 8” pulley to the small pulley on the modern energy motor, a Jack.