TerryF

Vintage Clutch???

Hi. This is my first post so let me start with a brief bio. I'm 64 and plunging into a long time interest in upholstery work as a hobby. I started by buying a machine before I had learned enough to know exactly what I wanted as perhaps many do. That has led me to more googling and landing here. :-) 

I bought a Singer 211A157AA Needle Feed machine thinking it would perfect for my intentions. I have used it successfully making a piped cushion for a window seat and replacing the fabric on two Sling type lounge chairs. But I found the needle feed to be less than satisfactory when it comes to holding the material when feeding. I stumbled onto a Consew 226 that needed some TLC but I was able to get it relatively cheap at $200. After some cleaning, adjusting, and oiling I put it my power stand and it sews just great. With the Consew was included a very old looking stand with a motor and separate clutch. It actually works but I haven't given any attention to it yet. I would like to ask you guys if it has any value and is it worth the elbow grease? I can't find a single reference to this type of clutch for sewing.

Any info would be appreciated. Regards, TerryF

Div clutch2.jpg

Welcome to the group.  I love that cast-iron base!

I will give you my 2 cents, that is probably not worth even that.  The big motor (yours is a newer one not original) once plugged in spins up to a some crazy RPMS and sounds like a small jet taking off and runs at full tilt as long as it has power. That front antique clutch has a spring that keeps your machine disk away from the spinning disk until you press the foot pedal, it then pushes the machine disk side into the spinning side to engage spinning and start sewing at warp 10.  Once you take your foot off the pedal it the machine side pulls away from the spinning madness and the machine stops.  If you look at a new clutch motor it will have a little arm that drops down from the pulley end that you directly connect the foot pedal,  the newer motors have this cutch ability built in.

The down side to this setup is clutch motor noise, the zippy fast speed, and the potential bump in the electric bill. I recommend replacing both with a new Servo motor, silent, speed adjustable, take less power, overall a much better user experience. 

This is commonly called a line shaft clutch. Put a 1 1/2" pulley on that motor with

1725 rpm and you will have a ideal upholstery setup. I also used this on the bike circuit

especially in rural areas like Sturgis because you could buy

a motor at the farm store but not a servo or clutch motor.  However a servo motor

is the best choice.  So if you have control problems buy one of those. If you want

to make money go as fast as you can handle the machine.