tardis86

Printable gun blanks

Has anyone started making printable gun blanks (aka blue guns).  It would be way cheaper than buying the blue guns. I'm surprised no one with the skills has jumped on this yet. Even if I paid $10 a file, it would be well worth it.

Anybody willing to do all that for $10?@!  That would require considerable measuring - either a good bit of time with a micrometer or a considerable cost for a 3D scanner.  If I spent the time and/or the money, I don't think the resulting file would be $10 :whistle:

1 minute ago, JLSleather said:

Anybody willing to do all that for $10?@!  That would require considerable measuring - either a good bit of time with a micrometer or a considerable cost for a 3D scanner.  If I spent the time and/or the money, I don't think the resulting file would be $10 :whistle:

You would sell the file more than one time. 

Anyway... I was just throwing a number out there. Most I'd pay is about $20 per file. The money is in selling the file more than just one time

I keep it easy and have the owner outline his pistol on a piece of paper.

I use that to make my own patterns. Then I go visit them to tool the leather to their gun.

The next day I go pick up dried holster and take it back home to finish it.

It may not be cost effective but for what I make on it, public relations and the word of mouth keeps me as busy as I want to be.

Then I keep my own pattern for repeat gun type holster orders.

Works for me.

Hope it may help.

Doug

I think this has been discussed here before and the general consensus was that by the time you get all the measurements and spend the time printing the gun and tweaking it to make sure its exactly right it is just cheaper and easier to buy the blue guns.

Todd

2 hours ago, tardis86 said:

You would sell the file more than one time. 

I get that all the time. 

• Hey, Jeff.. instead of $100, how bout I pay you $79?
  •     So you want me to take a $21 pay cut?
  • Well, see, I'm willing to buy 100 of those.
  •     So you want me to take a $21 pay cut 100 times

The only way to make this work is to do a laser scan and make a point cloud of the weapon.   That requires a considerable investment in equipment and even more so on the skill of the operator.  To make an accurate scan, the technician must have a thorough knowledge of the software in order un understand if the point cloud is correct.  And, because the scans need to be put together to form a 3D printable object, there is a LOT of margin for error.  THEN, there's the output.  If the file is manipulated at all the dimensions will be off.  I have a P30 that has an oval barrel because someone stretched the dimensions on one axis and the person who printed it didn't catch it.  

Then, there's the cost of the 3D printer and, and, and.

Blue guns are more durable, more accurate (at least for a lot less $$$) and cheaper for now.

The technology to make it feasible is pretty much there, it's just not cost effective yet.. give it time though 

16 hours ago, tardis86 said:

The technology to make it feasible is pretty much there, it's just not cost effective yet.. give it time though 

It's getting there.  Right now, it looks like one of the better scanners for this type of work is about $1400 - Not yet cost effective.  But, several weeks ago I came across a vid on YouTube about 3D scanning using a cellphone camera and software.  Unfortunately I can't find that again, but IIRC the price was pretty reasonable.  Whether that type of scan would provide the level of detail you'd want for a dummy gun or not I can't say ... But the technology is getting there!!

- Bill

'Course, at some point it may be asked - if you're going to go through all of that, why not just "3d print" the holster? :dunno:

On 2/23/2019 at 2:04 PM, JLSleather said:

'Course, at some point it may be asked - if you're going to go through all of that, why not just "3d print" the holster? :dunno:

Got any leather filament?  :devil:

Edited by olfart

1 hour ago, olfart said:

Got any leather filament?  :devil:

Hey, they have wood and metal filament. Never know what the future holds.