Finally after 2 months of cogitation and prototyping, finished this guy up.  As I don't do sheaths very often, open to critiques as well!  And yes, as always, it has the inadvertent requisite Spirit Stitch.

YinTx

SheathDLoRes.thumb.jpg.29f5c848816bf94b6d067c27ea64b73f.jpg

SheathCLoRes.thumb.jpg.be8a9da1bb0b8258ec9312f9ab39334a.jpg

SheathFLoRes.thumb.jpg.5cebc64cac8ee4b2cb94cd3b7b505c5b.jpg

SheathGLoRes.thumb.jpg.7b954b7aab45f4f7183182584c946fae.jpg

Edited by YinTx
add image

Sweet! Very unique knife to work with....

9 hours ago, SickMick said:

Sweet! Very unique knife to work with....

Thank you.  Unique shape and the most challenging aspect.  Pretty thick at 0.22" as well.  Every single piece of the 7 layers was cut, fit, cut, fit ad nauseam.

But, it does now sit pretty snugly, no wobbling about.

4 hours ago, Retswerb said:

Wow, Yin. That turned out great - nice work.

Thanks!  I was reasonably happy with it.  Some things I might do different in the future, but I think the customer will be happy.

3 hours ago, Dave Richardson said:

Nice job on that one Yin ! Browning logo, stitching,color, sam brown button all just right. Really nice. You did however break the rule by not showing the blade....just sayin

Appreciate it.  Knife is in there, so maybe only bent the rule?  Here's the overall look for you...

SheathELoRes.thumb.jpg.b2f40d05b8a07aabc6d44746bd1963b2.jpg

YinTx

Great job on the sheath.

Your client is so going to hate that handle design. It's a real pain to put the flap through the hole in the handle in a real world carry situation. I just built a new sheath pouch sheath for a guy who had a similar concept.

YinTX, I've watched your progress over the past five years and must say you've more than demonstrated that you've rightfully earned Journeyman status and might I add your chops suggest Master Level.  

Beautiful work.  Just lovely.

Excellent sheath!!! Interesting blade, too.

Jeff

3 hours ago, Instinctive said:

Great job on the sheath.

Your client is so going to hate that handle design. It's a real pain to put the flap through the hole in the handle in a real world carry situation. I just built a new sheath pouch sheath for a guy who had a similar concept.

Thank you, and yes, I suspected it would be difficult, and I discussed this with him before I started on the design.  Due to the knife shape, I also feared it would require a bit of finesse to insert and remove it from the sheath. It goes in and out better than I expected, and sits snugly.  Interestingly, the tab kind of pops out of the hole on its own, you can kind of see that in one of the photos.  I discussed with him that it would be in the way as you try to insert the knife as well, but in practice does not  seem as bad as I told him it would be.  Only time will tell how it works out for him.

3 hours ago, cseeger said:

YinTX, I've watched your progress over the past five years and must say you've more than demonstrated that you've rightfully earned Journeyman status and might I add your chops suggest Master Level.  

Beautiful work.  Just lovely.

Wow, thanks!  Journeyman maybe, only apprenticing I have done is via this site.  Master level is a bit away for me though.. you should see the pile of bits and prototypes that stacked up as I made this one!  I am glad you think so highly of it.  We'll see this evening when I deliver it to the intended recipient how he likes it!

2 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Excellent sheath!!! Interesting blade, too.

Jeff

Jeff,  many thanks.  It was an interesting blade for sure.

YinTx

Nice "Browning"  deer head.  Sheath looks good!

Looks great Yin! What is the spirit stitch though?

9 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

Looks great Yin! What is the spirit stitch though?

Thank you!  and that would be the errant stitch that always makes an appearance in my work.  :blush:  Navajo rugs have a "Spirit Thread," and other cultures have similar themes to the imperfections that arise in crafted work.  So I refer to it as my "Spirit Stitch."

YinTx

Very nice, the deer looks quilted... :spoton:

Looks real nice! 

I did one for the same knife, but it didn’t look nearly as good.

Nice. But why the hole, for a leg strap or something?

A nice design, with those lovely curves and good coloring. 
Those are small stitches! What's the Stitch per inch size here, and what thread size/type?

9 hours ago, hawgrider said:

Nice "Browning"  deer head.  Sheath looks good!

Appreciate it.  Original design didn't have it in there, but he requested it, so I redid everything to accommodate.

7 hours ago, Rbarleatherworks said:

Very nice, the deer looks quilted... :spoton:

I didn't notice that, but you are right!  I debated for a few days about whether to completely flatten the pattern inside, or leave the raised section in the middle.  I opted for the raised, I think it gives it some dimensionality.

4 hours ago, JKHelms said:

Looks real nice! 

I did one for the same knife, but it didn’t look nearly as good.

Thank you.  Wish I had seen yours, I could have maybe taken some design cues from it instead of starting from scratch!

2 hours ago, robs456 said:

Thanks, and yes, for a leg tie.  I liked the look without it, but then in this case, function trumped style, so there it is.

8 minutes ago, DJole said:

A nice design, with those lovely curves and good coloring. 
Those are small stitches! What's the Stitch per inch size here, and what thread size/type?

Many thanks. I used 9 spi, and 532 Juane Fil Au Chinois Lin Cable.  And I must say stitching through that thick of leather is a chore.  Hands still hurt!  Would not have been possible with any of my newer awls, had to use a very long very old blade.

YinTx

WOW that is beautiful work and I just love it:yes:

34 minutes ago, DJole said:

Oh yea, around the Sam Browne Stud is 10 spi.

4 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

WOW that is beautiful work and I just love it:yes:

!  Awesome, I appreciate that.  :specool:

YinTx

19 hours ago, YinTx said:

22 hours ago, robs456 said:

Thanks, and yes, for a leg tie.  I liked the look without it, but then in this case, function trumped style, so there it is.

I'll be honest, 'cos I think you can take it and I know you want to improve.
I think the hole ruins it. It's a beautiful sheath, with nice carving, stitching, colors, design. And pierced by a hole.
Couldn't you have sewn a loop to the back piece, all hidden like? Or protruding from the tip?
As it was for a customer maybe you didn't have a choice, but for me this is an eyesore in an otherwise perfect sheath.
I also guess there were no eyelets that fit? That's a problem I tend to have...

And again, on the whole a VERY nice sheath.

37 minutes ago, robs456 said:

but for me this is an eyesore

:17:

100% agree.  Couldn't know that until it was there, then of course, too late.  Grommet would have made it even worse. Frustrating for me, as I'd spent over 100 hours and lots of leather on this build, and already past the expected delivery time frame.  For the small $$ I got for this, I had to call it done.  Customer loved it, so onwards.  If he didn't of course I'd do it again.  Future designs I'll be doing differently.  Appreciate the honest feedback.

16 hours ago, Dun said:

Daaaaammmnn. 

B)

YinTx

Beautiful

@YinTx great sheath Sorry this is one time I coulda done with the rule being broken!!  P.S. Your spirit stitch is great.