JJN

Juki 441 Cobra Cowboy Which Feet To Get

I purchased a Ferdco/Juki Pro-2000 last December (actual Juki 441 base machine). I needed to order missing parts and have just recently received them. I have cleaned up the machine and replaced the missing main tension assembly and bobbin winding  tire and put a servo motor on it. It has cleaned up to look like new and I am very pleased.

This machine came with only a slotted needle plate and left toe presser foot. You can see what I have in the photo marked 'B'. The feet are not the style I see on the Cowboy and Cobra dealers sites. I figured these must be Ferdco exclusive. I bought a set of feet, center and double toe, in the style shown in photo 'A' with some toothed and smooth feed dogs and throat plates. I haven't tried to put them on yet. Now I discovered some feet in the style-B that appear to match my original Ferdco feet, in the NickOSew catalog. I talked to the mechanic at NickOSew and he didn't know if their style-B feet are the same as my Ferdco feet. He did say that switching from their style 'B' to style 'A' will require resetting my outer presser bar and balancing the foot lift because the style-A feet are about 1/4" taller than style-B.

I have a few questions. Does anyone know of any advantages or disadvantages with either style of feet? Does one style work better with a slotted plate or with a feed dog? Can anyone confirm the height difference of the feet? Is there a tutorial anywhere for adjusting the presser foot height for this class of machine.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance for any answers.

John

foot-style-a.jpg

foot-style-b.jpg

1. Whatever you do, don't post any pictures of modified cobra or cowboy feet.  I have the same machine and the cobra and cowboy feet are in fact a 1/4” too long. Being a welder and machinist I cut mine and  welded them back together. Works like a charm. 
  2. I was called a bubba and redneck among other things. But hey it worked .
  3. And I’ve been using them  for about a year.
  4. Good luck.

@JKHelms, I like your direct approach to the problem. I also want to use genuine Juki 441 feet for fabric projects, so I would like all my presser foot options to be interchangeable without having to reset presser bars each time I switch feet. I would ask for photos of your modified feet but don't want the ridicule of being called a bubba or a redneck. LOL

Thanks for your help.

John Noveske

21 minutes ago, JJN said:

@JKHelms, I like your direct approach to the problem. I also want to use genuine Juki 441 feet for fabric projects, so I would like all my presser foot options to be interchangeable without having to reset presser bars each time I switch feet. I would ask for photos of your modified feet but don't want the ridicule of being called a bubba or a redneck. LOL

Thanks for your help.

John Noveske

I’ll post some pics. I didn’t want to adjust the presser foot bar every time I wanted to change feet.

I thought it was a stretch with my first Juki walking foot machine, using typical singer 111 presser style feet. I found at this beginning I wanted the same precise adjustment I had set, and according to the manual. It was for sure an eye opener and lots of sanding filing, grinding and re tempering to a degree. Needless to say many a nice set of cording feet had been reworked..

So in short many smaller dimension differences are never thought about, yet it was my first experience in this. I had my own complaints of .020" height differences in my epay 111 style purchases. This is to say the least of their fit and finish.

What I have since found is there are Pros who in fact make precision presser feet, adjustment and of many custom styles. So when there are people we learn with Sewing machine, machine shops and trades people. One should make a hierarchy note as I did, that this re fitting and or custom task, is another precision adjustment for quality. 

I could not earlier today come up with enough differences to comment, sorry man!  Now that I am. I can only say from my few years experience in these machines is the very same with my other life experience. Consistency matters, so installing other presser feet for a task on these sew machines I feel should be without height adjustment, though be consistent in design. This can be discussed many ways but again I'm being consistent in general presser feet here, so its just efficient and that's productivity.

I don't really think I want to go into, that with some of these special presser feet "with" a base plate for custom work are not going to some times require presser foot bar heights be checked and or adjusted. 

So, what I have noticed is some in these 441 class machines have blued, plated and stainless presser feet. Some look more robust but that's not always the tempering case with metals.  Its good to consider exactly where the presser feet need to be when down, especially if other than textile or blanket style presser feet are used.  Like is there a difference or should there be, has this been discussed any.

I would consider what your material thickness range is going to be "in reality" If a substantial clearance is in your fabrications then maybe this is to be considered.  It is also leaning me back to consistency and if I have to reset with a  certain brand for this productivity its at least now a simple planed goal in the future.

have a good day

Floyd

There is a write up on here about the adjustments that have to be made going from the regular pressor foot to the inline one. I am pretty sure it’s not a cowboy vs Juki thing it’s the regular vs inline differences. 

JKH, I see nothing wrong with your approach. You had a set of feet that were useless to you, so if you have the ability and the equipment to make them work, why not?

I've re-ground a few feet to make them work/fit particular machines (sometimes other manufacturers' feet don't quite want to fit!!!).