klutes

Pfaff 345

Is anyone here familiar with the Pfaff 345 -6c. H3LN. What size needle and thread will it handle and how thick of veg tan will it handle. I just found reasonably close to Me and wanted to know your thoughts before I drive to look at it. Suppose to be complete and in good sewing order?.

Threads in the 46 through 138 range work. Veg tan leather is pretty tough, much more than the different tanning of upholstery etc. leathers. 

So if these upholstery class/size machines have a lift of say 3/8”. This does not neccessarily mean their going to work well at the same thickness.

To consider veg tan, or its thickness here. Its again just an opinion that, a much thinner choice is to be made. 

My opinion is veg tan 3/16 inch is still going to be slow going. With a leather type cutting needle required. There are many here who use this size machine for thin leather, skins and hide materials making bags and all sorts of products. 

In short, these cylinder arm machines are farrr and few. If your chance is to get one at a  price that works for you its an asset, no doubt about it.

Sometimes using this in your google search can help nail down some post here in the site. As whatever you type after the net:

site:leatherworker.net: pfaff 345

Additionally and a more thourough explained and made as a permanent “sticky post” and is here. http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/25239-the-type-of-sewing-machine-you-need-to-sew-leather/

Have a good day

Floyd

Edited by brmax

Hello,

I had one and was able to sew with a 160 needle. The system for the needle is 134-35. The machine can handle  medium weight leather.  If you sew with the 160 needle you must take a smaller bobbin thread, otherwise it won't sew correct. I always used a straight point but better is to take a cutting pointer,  either LR or S point. If you want to sew ticker leather like shoulder aso. I advise you to buy, If possibly,  a somewhat heavyer machine. All in one I was quit happy with but was able to buy a Adler 269-373, which is able so sew a bit ticker leather.

Yours,

Bert

Ps: parts and explsion view can be found on the internet

Thanks guys for your response. I was thinking it was a little on the light size just wanted to confirm since I wasn’t familiar with this machine. It was close and priced right so I thought it may be worth checking out.. I already have a Adler 69 for small to med. work so I will pass on it. Thanks

@brmax and  @Wizcrafts since you both seem to have a good deal of experience with machines or this machine.  I have been considering a Pfaff 345 that I found for sale but want to see what your opinion is on using to sew 4-5 oz leather.  I mostly make bags, so I'm sewing gussets and such on a juki flatbed and really hoping a post or cylinder arm could make my life easier.  Would the Pfaff 345 be too lightweight?

1 hour ago, LOM said:

I have been considering a Pfaff 345 that I found for sale but want to see what your opinion is on using to sew 4-5 oz leather.  I mostly make bags, so I'm sewing gussets and such on a juki flatbed and really hoping a post or cylinder arm could make my life easier.  Would the Pfaff 345 be too lightweight?

This machine should handle your 4/5 ounce seams with ease.