Bender

Pre-cut leather letters?

Ran  a google search and Springfield Leather search and came up empty handed. 

Wanting to do a one of a kind piece, so just looking for letters cut out of leather, say 5-10 oz veg tan,. Not letter stamps, but pre-cut letter shapes. 

Think anybody out there has such a critter?

I just Googled die cut leather letters and there were a few etsy pages and eBay pages. They are out there, it's just a matter of finding them..

Thank you! 

Once again it is a matter of finding out what the heck to use for the search terms! I hadn't been using "die-cut" in my search. 

Well...duh! Right? :oops:

On 2/23/2019 at 5:43 PM, Bender said:

Think anybody out there has such a critter?

Have you considered making them with a laser cutter? That would allow you to have various size and typeface options. 

Edited by LatigoAmigo

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:03 PM, LatigoAmigo said:

Have you considered making them with a laser cutter?

I have found laser cutting to be a little difficult due to the scorching and blackening of the edge, also the smoke damage on the surface of the item is not so good. Maybe better attention to a correctly focused laser would help.

If I had my 'druthers', I would try using a cricut, if I had a heap of letters to do on an ongoing basis. If the call was for occasional supply, I wonder if hammer-dies or clicker dies might be more economical?

12 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

Maybe better attention to a correctly focused laser would help

Pretty hard to not char the edges as the heat from the laser is what cuts the leather. Thinner leathers can be cut with less heat, and some leathers seem to pick up less charring than others, but there is always some residual effects from the laser cutting process.