chrisash

Dremel Skiver for discussion

Just thinking aloud about the high price of motorised skivers and had a thought, why not take a dremel with a say 1 inch 4cm rough sanding bit, make a table with a hole cut out to fit a small length of the sanding bit showing through, so essentially you have a table with a dremel fitted at a slight angle below, with its bit just showing slightly above the table at a angle to be used as a skiver

Dremels already come with rubber bits to hold rough sanding disks so not much work to make a longer one. The table could have a roller on top to press down the leather when it passes the bit and the height and the angle of the grinding bit could be adjustable quite easily

Does it make sense or does someone have one already made

actually you could use the flexible shaft to position the Dremel out of the way and make things a lot easier

Dremel Skiver 6.png

Edited by chrisash
wrong image

3 hours ago, chrisash said:

Just thinking aloud about the high price of motorised skivers and had a thought, why not take a dremel with a say 1 inch 4cm rough sanding bit, make a table with a hole cut out to fit a small length of the sanding bit showing through, so essentially you have a table with a dremel fitted at a slight angle below, with its bit just showing slightly above the table at a angle to be used as a skiver

Dremels already come with rubber bits to hold rough sanding disks so not much work to make a longer one. The table could have a roller on top to press down the leather when it passes the bit and the height and the angle of the grinding bit could be adjustable quite easily

Does it make sense or does someone have one already made

Interesting idea Chris. I've had mixed results sanding leather, but the firm roller might improve matters. Are you thinking of using it as a general purpose replacement for a bell-knife skiver or for a specific skiving task? How do you envisage feeding the leather?

Here's something similar for lap-skiving belts: https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/70951-cheap-splitterskiver-and-sander/

Interesting from Rocky as always, I have no intention of making one, but having looked at alternatives I don't like the pulled through versions and the motor versions are so expensive, maybe i will give it some more thought and might make one to see if it works

Maybe the roller could be changed for a fixed plate to both keep the leather flat and also save finger tips

Thought a bit more about the dremel skiver

Head on the right and seperate is the holder of the dremel flexible extension cable the fitting should be able to move at any angle required and adjustable for height

The main body has a adjustable height table and the slots through the support and thread enable fixed 90 deg height with bolt through the slots

Not printed one yet but welcome comments design of unit about 180mm x 140 mm deep

Dremmel Skiver design v16.png

I have seen advice suggesting people be careful using a Dremel to burnish leather, because the bearings are not heavy duty and placing it under that sort of sideways stress can chew out the bearing easily.

I am guessing skiving and sanding would be the same.

Thanks Brian

The way i have it planned is for the holder to be holding the end of the extension lead that come with the Dremel, not the actual main machine, that would be hanging up on its own  holder alongside

s-l640.jpg

Where did you find the post?

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:44 PM, chrisash said:

the holder to be holding the end of the extension lead that come with the Dremel, not the actual main machine

That is a great way to solve a possible problem.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:43 PM, TomG said:

Where did you find the post?

I think that post arrangement is a standard Dremel item. I have the vertical press, which has an identical hook at the top.

I would think a right angle grinder may be a better fit. 

I have had my Dremel bog down just using the tiny burnishing wheel, not to mention the aforementioned lateral pressure issue.

But it is definitely an original idea.

If you are going to try this with the Dremel you will need to have a shaft supported at both ends, that will eliminate the lateral pressure on the bearings provided the Dremel itself is supported or the shaft attachment is used.

@RockyAussie has a belt grinder version he built with an adjustable guide.

Tried the basics of making it, but the thread was to weak on the table Thread part with the gaps for fixing it's position, maybe with the adjustment of the drill holder it does not need a movable table top, also found out you can but a cutting tool for the Dremel that might be better than rough sanding paper

To me the main problem is the printing time, as I am not willing to let it run overnight for safety reasons, already had to change out the XT60 connection as lack of soldering at manufacturing stage ment it was getting exceedingly hot, (now sorted) if nothing else the noise would keep me awake as run at home

Think I will put it down, as a good learning lesson especially about shrinkage of difference between threaded nut and bolt in large sizes using PLA, but what does stand out is the low cost of materials and electricity to make quite large potentially useful items, at 72 I am finding technology a wonderful way to keep the grey cells active and the learning of what ""Fusion 360" can do is mind boggling and a great introduction to how far design tools have reached

Hopefully made some people think about different ways to do things 

Chris