Sign in to follow this  
WastelandOuterwear

Couple of new Holster Orders, also exposure Question

48379145_933929676803868_1975210864784965632_n.jpg

48384309_933929713470531_8953757109820850176_n.jpg

48405569_933929700137199_3043661508119625728_n.jpg

Image may contain: shoes

40369468_873959559467547_3171730367665143808_n.jpg

Top one is a "1911" Buscadero as per Customer order, has 2 Mag pouches and 18 bullet loops his rifle.

Bottom one is Just a Simple rig for a .357 mag revolver as per Customer Order.

How did some of you guys get exposure as a leather worker, is it just simply working on the few orders a year, or do you guys do production runs, but then where do you guys sell production.

http://wastelandouterwear.com/

https://www.instagram.com/holden_bystry/?hl=en

Edited by WastelandOuterwear

Well done on both of those!

I suggest that you scroll up the Forums page to the sub-forum "Marketing and Advertising" where you will find dozens of posts discussing various venues and marketing strategies.

Personally, I started out in 1972 as a young police officer with a mortgage to be paid and hungry kids to feed on skinny paychecks. If I needed or wanted a holster, belt, or accessory I learned to make them so I didn't have to drain the household budget. The others I worked with saw what I was doing and started asking for my products. So I had a little sideline hobby-business with co-workers and referrals as my customers for many years.

After retiring from law enforcement I went into another business, but continued turning out a few holsters and accessories each week and month. By about 2004 I was offering a few products on-line, which resulted in requests for other products. I started a website and within 6 months I was working 7 days per week in the shop to keep up with orders, no time for anything else. I hired and trained assistants and continued working on new products and improved designs while completing and shipping about 2000 orders per year to all 50 US states and 33 other countries.

In 2015 I had gone nearly 9 years without a day off, without a vacation, without a holiday. I was earning great money and had savings, investments, and retirement plans that I never dreamed of having. But I was dead tired and totally burned out. I was ready to shut the business down and retire completely. Then along came a good family from Iowa who ran a leather business with other product lines and wanted to purchase Lobo Gun Leather. We struck a deal and I went to Iowa for a few weeks to help with the transition period and first few production runs. They are still doing very well with my original product line and their own innovations. I remain on staff as a consultant, no real duties or obligations but I serve as a sounding board for new ideas and marketing efforts.

My suggestons:

1. Identify your market niche. Look for under-served market segments. Don't try to be everything to everyone; concentrate your efforts on one segment of the market and an assortment of proven products.

2. Keep the day job until the business grows to a level that sustains your needs. At the same time, keep the business manageable; don't take on more work than you can complete within the promised delivery times.

3. Do not try to grow a business on borrowed money; you will just end up working for the bankers.

4. Spend an hour or two each day going back through the posts on this forum. Pay attention to the contributions of others who have gone before you, information about what works and what doesn't, what sells and what doesn't sell, etc. This forum is a great source of knowledge and guidance.

Best regards.

Great holsters and some great advise.