tardis86

singer 15-91 help

I bought a singer 15-91 over the weekend and I plan to stitch very thin leather with it( as well as fabrics). Anyone familiar with these machines and know where to start tension and etc for thin leather? I bought some thicker needles  over the weekend, (14, 18 etc. ) What thread do you recommend as well? I've never used a sewing machine so I just need to get info really.

Thanks

I would suggest first you have a quick look at the manual ( https://www.manualslib.com/manual/940225/Singer-15-91.html ). The 15-91 can take V92 thread with a #20 needle but is better suited for V69 with a #18 needle. I prefer the bonded polyester thread over the bonded nylon particularly black.

To get the tension right ensure you have the bobbin installed so it spins in a counter clockwise motion and then do a drop test. To much thread tension the bobbin will not spin in the case and to little it will fall to the floor. The object is to be able to pick the bobbin case with the bobbin in it by the end of the thread so it unwinds counter clock a bit when you give it a slight jerk on the end of the thread. If you change thread size you have to check/change the bobbin tension.

The top thread will be a matter of using a scrape of material and adjusting the top tensioner dial to higher or lower numbers once you have threaded the machine correctly. Start with the top tensioner dial about half way around the number 4 position. Using different materials / thickness/ thread size will mean that you will have to adjust the tensioner dial accordingly to get a nice stitch.

I would use some cheap fabric like an old piece of jean material and with the stitch length dial set to the lowest number to start, lever to the bottom. This should help you with getting use to the feel of the small foot peddle and how hard you need to push down for what speed.

The main down fall I see with the 15-91 is going to be the eventual motor replacement.

kgg

On 2/25/2019 at 3:09 PM, kgg said:

I would suggest first you have a quick look at the manual ( https://www.manualslib.com/manual/940225/Singer-15-91.html ). The 15-91 can take V92 thread with a #20 needle but is better suited for V69 with a #18 needle. I prefer the bonded polyester thread over the bonded nylon particularly black.

To get the tension right ensure you have the bobbin installed so it spins in a counter clockwise motion and then do a drop test. To much thread tension the bobbin will not spin in the case and to little it will fall to the floor. The object is to be able to pick the bobbin case with the bobbin in it by the end of the thread so it unwinds counter clock a bit when you give it a slight jerk on the end of the thread. If you change thread size you have to check/change the bobbin tension.

The top thread will be a matter of using a scrape of material and adjusting the top tensioner dial to higher or lower numbers once you have threaded the machine correctly. Start with the top tensioner dial about half way around the number 4 position. Using different materials / thickness/ thread size will mean that you will have to adjust the tensioner dial accordingly to get a nice stitch.

I would use some cheap fabric like an old piece of jean material and with the stitch length dial set to the lowest number to start, lever to the bottom. This should help you with getting use to the feel of the small foot peddle and how hard you need to push down for what speed.

The main down fall I see with the 15-91 is going to be the eventual motor replacement.

kgg

Ok, I understood some of that.lol. I know it's gonna be a steep learning curve, I'll keep at it. I'm not expecting to have it down in a week. Tbh even if I turn the wheel by hand, it will still be faster.

On 2/25/2019 at 12:18 PM, tardis86 said:

I bought a singer 15-91 over the weekend and I plan to stitch very thin leather with it( as well as fabrics). Anyone familiar with these machines and know where to start tension and etc for thin leather? I bought some thicker needles  over the weekend, (14, 18 etc. ) What thread do you recommend as well? I've never used a sewing machine so I just need to get info really.

Thanks

I have one of these, and was using it for similar projects...I used an 18 for #92 thread (pretty much the very max end for this machine) and a 16 for #69(this seemed to handle well), leather point needles of course.  I used it primarily for wallet liners (still do, just to sew the pockets t slot bottoms).  The tension will depend on the material and needle size and thread you're using, test on scrap pieces first.  Once you find where you tension is right, it makes beautiful stitches.  If you get to material that is too thick you'll have stitch problems, it's hard to do but you have to slow it down for some things.  A few projects i stitched almost completely without power to the pedal...lol.