Sanch

Needing suggestions! SMALL TOOLING STAMPS

Okay so I am finding myself in need of a set of small stamps more specifically bevelers backgrounders and the like for figure carving. Something that I can use to make smaller work easier. I know it one time someone posted somewhere about having bought smaller stamps. I have searched for the post but can't seem to find it nor can I remember who it was that said they had purchased stamps with the intent of doing smaller work. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Tandy still carries a small amount of figure carving stamps. Some of them are very small. May have to search online for used ones. The tool numbers start with the letter F. Very old ones have no letter.

2 minutes ago, TSes said:

Tandy still carries a small amount of figure carving stamps. Some of them are very small. May have to search online for used ones. The tool numbers start with the letter F. Very old ones have no letter.

Thanks for the reply

I made a post some time back on a wallet I did with tiny stamps, and listed the ones I had used.  Not sure if that is the one you are looking for, if so I'll try to find it.

YinTx

Maybe this is the one you were looking for?

YinTx

@YinTx yes! That's the post I thought it was you,  but wasn't sure are you still doing small work? Thanks for the reply!

proleathercarvers.com is a great place to find the tools you are looking for, they have new and vintage tools and are great to do business with. They have both website and E-bay stores

Most of my work has been small, but not very many tiny like that.  The tools are useful when you need them.  I plan to try some old style larger work here in the near future (as in sometime this year) since I have yet to do that type of work.

YinTx

7 hours ago, buzzardbait said:

proleathercarvers.com is a great place to find the tools you are looking for, they have new and vintage tools and are great to do business with. They have both website and E-bay stores

I checked them out thanks.

16 hours ago, YinTx said:

Maybe this is the one you were looking for?

YinTx

Ok so come to find out I already have a good number of the "F" series tools (older tandy stuff) and I do have a few of the smaller bevelers so I may have to fabricate my own "mini" stuff maybe a pear shader and a couple of others my only gripe is needing a mini crosshatched/checked backgrounder so...scratching head here...gonna continue searching..

Do you have the means to modify some stamps(ie a grinder)? That way you could adjust a regular sized stamp to your needs.

Just now, Tinkerton said:

Do you have the means to modify some stamps(ie a grinder)? That way you could adjust a regular sized stamp to your needs.

I do in fact have the means to modify what I have, only bastardizing them is not what I prefer! Plus what I have seems to be of the plated variety, other than my Gomph Hackbarth set and those will remain unmolested...

Do you have the A102-2?  It is already pretty small, and you could grind it down a bit smaller if you had to...if no, they are pretty readily available and not very expensive.  Alternatively, a file and a tiny bolt and a bit of time.. you could have what you need.

YinTx

1 hour ago, YinTx said:

Do you have the A102-2?  It is already pretty small, and you could grind it down a bit smaller if you had to...if no, they are pretty readily available and not very expensive.  Alternatively, a file and a tiny bolt and a bit of time.. you could have what you need.

YinTx

I believe I may,  I gotta look at them again but still mucking up a perfectly good tool is just not worth it when im sure I can make one out of SS rod. Thanks again to all for the answers! Keep them rolling!!

15 hours ago, YinTx said:

I plan to try some old style larger work here in the near future (as in sometime this year) since I have yet to do that type of work.

Happened much sooner than expected!  Was really different to do.  Those long sweeping curves are unexpectedly challenging!

4 hours ago, Sanch said:

mucking up a perfectly good tool is just not worth it

define perfectly good?  the new ones are pretty cheap in many ways.  and I think the # is actually 104-2.

YinTx

I have no doubt that you can make whatever you need, Sanch. 

5 hours ago, YinTx said:

Happened much sooner than expected!  Was really different to do.  Those long sweeping curves are unexpectedly challenging!

define perfectly good?  the new ones are pretty cheap in many ways.  and I think the # is actually 104-2.

YinTx

ROLMAO!!!! OKOK!! LET ME CHANGE THAT TO RELATIVELY GOOD!!

44 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence !  Today begins the search for proper material and some knurling of said material...The journey begins!

I took a 2 day figure carving class from Jim Linnell at my local Tandy last August.  Here are the figure carving tools he recommends:

"For the Figure Carving part of the class (if you don’t have these tools and don’t want to purchase new ones – using something that is close to these will work, too.):"

• #6896-00 - F896
  • #6895-00 - F895
  • #6891-00 - F891
  • #6890-00 - F890
  • #6902-00 - F902
  • #6941-00 - F941
  • #6976-00 - F976
  • #6703-00 - P703
  • #6900-00 - F900
  • #6899-00 - F899
  • #6898-00 - F898
  • #6098-00 - A98

These are the catalog numbers, followed by the actual stamp number.

I hope this helps. By the way, here is my feeble attempt from the class. It was my first time figure carving, and it is apparent, I need a lot more practice with the swivel knife.
 image.png.3124a6395002e386307becb52c6a931c.png

Edited by RemingtonSteel

Other than the curved line around the horses head, I see very little wrong with what you have done. Maybe it shows up more, in real life, or maybe you are your own worst critic. Great job in my book.

Sanch, my apologies, it appears I may have inadvertently hijacked your thread, lol.  I appear to have steered it from tiny tools to big horses heads and flowers!

1 hour ago, RemingtonSteel said:

I hope this helps. By the way, here is my feeble attempt from the class. It was my first time figure carving, and it is apparent, I need a lot more practice with the swivel knife.

Looks pretty good.  Linnell is like 6 hours up the road from me, perhaps I should take a trip and an extended class! 

YinTx

YinTx, 

Not fair! After all, I did provide Sanch the list of tiny tools we used, before I showed him my big horse head. ;)

Also you should go take a class from Jim.  It was worth the money to watch him work. Darn, he just makes figure carving look so effortless and down right easy! The man is one of the masters.  You should see him sign his name (much smaller than pictured) in his leather work. I didn't know anyone could have that much control with a swivel knife. 
image.png.d4338c2f90bd85b77cb640c551be87f1.png

4 hours ago, RemingtonSteel said:

I took a 2 day figure carving class from Jim Linnell at my local Tandy last August.  Here are the figure carving tools he recommends:

"For the Figure Carving part of the class (if you don’t have these tools and don’t want to purchase new ones – using something that is close to these will work, too.):"

• #6896-00 - F896
  • #6895-00 - F895
  • #6891-00 - F891
  • #6890-00 - F890
  • #6902-00 - F902
  • #6941-00 - F941
  • #6976-00 - F976
  • #6703-00 - P703
  • #6900-00 - F900
  • #6899-00 - F899
  • #6898-00 - F898
  • #6098-00 - A98

These are the catalog numbers, followed by the actual stamp number.

image.png.3124a6395002e386307becb52c6a931c.png

Thanks for the time you spent posting this!

2 hours ago, YinTx said:

Sanch, my apologies, it appears I may have inadvertently hijacked your thread, lol.  I appear to have steered it from tiny tools to big horses heads and flowers!

Looks pretty good.  Linnell is like 6 hours up the road from me, perhaps I should take a trip and an extended class! 

YinTx

Thanks for HIJACKING my thread!!! ..no really it's ok cause your posts have lead me to knowing I don't need the figure carving tools for my purposes!

And keep yer darned horse heads to yer selves!!! Lol!! Thanks for the replies to you both!! See my new thread coming soon.

12 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Already on it! See tools part of forum.

Edited by Sanch