steelhawk

Beretta 92FS Magazine Question

I have a request for a holster and double mag for  the 92FS. I have the bluegun and several assorted mags. Does anyone know what I might be able to use if I can't find an actual mag?

If you can get the dimensions and the shape, carve one out of wood

2 hours ago, fredk said:

If you can get the dimensions and the shape, carve one out of wood

If we were doing a one off, we would make a mould / mold out of built up layers of greyboard, then sanded to shape.

Cut pieces oversize, glue and weight down until you have the desired height, then carve and sand as for wood.

H

Edited by hwinbermuda
smelling pistake

Doesn't the guy who wants a 92FS mag pouch have a 92FS mag?  

I would get the client to supply the mags as JLSLeather suggested, old mags would be preferred just in case you damage them. There are just too many round capacity options for the Beretta mag available. You can get from 10 to 30 round capacity as well as a 2 round bottom extension option that completely changes the bottom look of the mag which may affect your design of the holder. 

Since a lot of shooters are very particular about their equipment the client may be worried about water damage to the mags if you are planning on wet moulding a holder. A possible solution maybe to strip the guts out of the mags and seal them with something like cellophane. I would suggest you have a discussion with the client outlining how you are planning on doing the holder outlining the pros and cons.

kgg

8 hours ago, steelhawk said:

I have a request for a holster and double mag for  the 92FS. I have the bluegun and several assorted mags. Does anyone know what I might be able to use if I can't find an actual mag?

You are way over thinking this situation.  Call him up and determine the mag capacity, . . . the standard 15 rd mag is 4 7/8 inches long, . . . 1 1/4 wide, . . . and 3/4 thick.

Also find out if he wants friction fit, . . . or a loop over them with a snap to hold em in.  The second one is my preference, . . . as friction fit can get loose and you can drop or loose a mag without a snapped cover over it.  

Then, . . .  take a 1 x 2 that you buy from Lowes, . . . it is 3/4 x 1 1/2, . . . sand it down to the 1 1/4, . . . cut it off to 5 inches, . . . round one end and all 4 edges, . . . use it for your mold.

I never make a mag pouch using a regular mag simply because if you do you wind up with a pointed mag that only accepts the mag when the bullets are pointed one way.  Using my technique, the user can put them in either way.  A person who carries a lot, . . . practices a lot, . . . and is proficient will carry theirs only one way, . . . for example, me, . . . mag is on my left side, . . . bullets pointing back, . . . I pull the mag, . . . re-orient it nose up, . . . and my bullets point forward, . . . ready to insert.  

I also don't use the actual mag because I don't want water in or near the customer's mags.

May God bless,

Dwight

Using Dwight's info that a standard 92 mag is 1-1/4" wide x 3/4" thick I'd start measuring the mags you have and see if you have one that measures the same. There is a difference in double stack mags and a Glock 17 mag likely won't work as they are staggered wider (I think). However there isn't that much difference and leather isn't an exact material so you may find that a High Power mag will make a fine substitute. I'm not at my shop so I can't confirm that's the case, but if you have a bunch of double stack 9mm mags there is likely a fine candidate in your collection. If not a wood block would work great. I've also duct taped layers of leather on to mags I did have to get the correct thickness. But then again I also use real mags to form leather all the time, same for real guns. In my opinion wet leather with steel isn't an issue if you dry the steel off then wipe it down with gun oil. But maybe I just like to live dangerously ;) 

Lots of ways to tackle the issue, none of them are wrong. Good luck on your project!

Josh

Check the measurements but most any steel bodied double stack 9mm mag should work.  You want to check though, because there are some proprietary mag designs out there.  Just bought a Sig P365 mag because of the shape where it feeds.  But could have likely gotten away with any double stack mag and just not had the taper in the mag holder.  

2 hours ago, chiefjason said:

Check the measurements but most any steel bodied double stack 9mm mag should work.  You want to check though, because there are some proprietary mag designs out there.  Just bought a Sig P365 mag because of the shape where it feeds.  But could have likely gotten away with any double stack mag and just not had the taper in the mag holder.  

Chief is right, . . . as most are the same.

My little M&P Shield is one of the exceptions, . . . it is not as thick as a 92FS or as my wife's Ruger, . . . just be aware that there are differences.  

May God bless,

Dwight

Loads of thanks, everyone for the info. I was overthinking things.  The customer sent me pics of the l, w, and h taken with a digital caliper. I have a mag with the exact dimensions.

Consider also - you can contact @wayner and get urethane molds made of your mags.  I've done it myself ... customer give me a mag, wayne put some dummy rounds in there, mold the stuff, send you back both.  I was going to put a price here, but maybe better to contact him.  Very reasonable, and the service is good.

mag_dummies.jpgGlock 27, Glock 43, and SA 9mm EMP.

On 2/26/2019 at 8:21 AM, Dwight said:

the standard 15 rd mag is 4 7/8 inches long, . . . 1 1/4 wide, . . . and 3/4 thick.

I have a Sig 229 15-rd mag that would absolutely NOT fit in that ;)  Just sayin', they aint all the same.