Hildebrand

Finishing edges that are different lengths-see pic

I have a question, how do you guys finish edges that are different lengths?  I am building a cartridge holder that will strap to the arm, the current version is 3 layers, front, back and the middle layer makes up the wrap around strap.  On this version I burnished the edges of the top and bottom where they pass over the middle, it looks ok but a little off.  I was wondering if someone had a different idea.  I may look at making the back and the wrap around one piece on the next one.

Thanks

Todd

IMG_2161.jpg

Can you take a close up photo of the edge that you think is off?  I'm having difficulty understanding your question, I think a different photo perspective may help my understanding...

YinTx

I think it is a sandwich affair with the long piece in-between the two small pieces.  My only suggestion is to finish all of your edges and then assemble.  I don't know how else you are going to get everything to look the same.  I am assuming that by "finishing", you mean beveling and then burnishing?

Yintx, I will try to get a different picture tonight.  Tugadude your right its a sandwich, I did burnish the edges of the small pieces where they go across the larger pieces but it just looks odd.  I thought maybe there is something else people do different in this situation.

Todd

It would use up more leather, but if you can't get the top and bottom layers to line up post edge finishing- you could design the bottom layer purposely larger, like a hexagon instead of a rectangle?