Sheilajeanne

B198 Beveler

In the old tools I purchased at the hock shop the other day, there was a B198 beveler. At first I thought someone must have altered it because the face is not symmetrical. Then, I looked at the Craftool tool conversion chart, and saw the face of my beveler looked EXACTLY like the one on the chart.

What's the reason for this beveler being asymetrical? I have a newer version of this tool, and the face is symmetrical on that one.

Here's a link to the chart so you can see what I'm talking about:

CraftoolConversionChart (1).pdf

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I too have noticed I have a few different variants of the older Craftool Co. stamps. These older tools were hand made one by one and not casted from a mold. The 198 and B198 stamps I have are square toe and some have a rounded curved toe. Same thing with my 197 smooth beveler stamp with some square and some rounded. 

I even have a 197 and 198 that looks similar to the figure carving 895 stamp in shape. It has no signs of being filed off or altered. Has factory plating to the entire tool. I just keep the rounded 198 tool handy and use it when beveling the inside of a sharp tight curve.