Prestige593

Smooth edge question.

Using 8/9 oz veg tanned for a belt I slicked the edge with water first and then with Gum Trag. There are spots were there is still a rough sandpaper feel. What do I do to get it to a smooth round edge. One belt I made even snagged and ruined a silk neck tie that I had hanging in the closet next to my belt hanger. I ran the hand slicker over this and used a bit slicker on a rotary tool. What gives?

To get really slick edges requires sanding. Depending on the individual piece of leather I may have to sand as fine as 800 grit. I will usually start at 150, go to 300, then to 600grit.  The occasional piece of leather will require 800 but in my experience 600 is enough. I also find power burnishing to give a smoother finish than by hand.  I gave up using water for burnishing because it just didn't seem to work as well as gum trag.

I use tap water and a piece of canvas mostly. With the wood burnishers you have to make sure you round the edge over with an edger first. I also lightly sand if they are rough to start. Also have to make sure using correct “notch “ on the burnisher. Or you’re not getting full contact.

Edited by Mattsbagger