dogboy

How to Sharpen a "Low Angle Blade"?

Hello,

Recently saw a vid on YouTube that made reference to using a “Peter Main low angle blade” to make swivel knife cuts more shallow in nature than is customary, the point of which is to improve the appearance of the beveled line by not revealing the core of the leather.  To my admittedly inexperienced mind this sounds like a reasonable concept worth striving for.

Have searched this site under multiple forum headings and could only pull out x2 pieces of info.  1) that apparently this blade was originally designed to be used on lighter leathers, and 2) can’t find much by way of “Peter Main” posts or references after 2008.

Wondering if it is possible to finesse a common swivel knife blade into the “low angle format”, and if there is anyone on this board that might have any info on how that might be done.  Of particular use would probably be the angle at which the blade is to be sharpened (as opposed to the more usual store bought angle), assuming that thereafter one might be required to experiment with the actual shape of the blade.

Any guidance, info, or opinions would be appreciated.    Thank you.  Fare well, db

I am betting good money, @immiketoo will have an opinion on this. I don't think there's much to do with carving, he has not thought about, tried and/or perfected! 

22 hours ago, dogboy said:

Hello,

Recently saw a vid on YouTube that made reference to using a “Peter Main low angle blade” to make swivel knife cuts more shallow in nature than is customary, the point of which is to improve the appearance of the beveled line by not revealing the core of the leather.  To my admittedly inexperienced mind this sounds like a reasonable concept worth striving for.

Have searched this site under multiple forum headings and could only pull out x2 pieces of info.  1) that apparently this blade was originally designed to be used on lighter leathers, and 2) can’t find much by way of “Peter Main” posts or references after 2008.

Wondering if it is possible to finesse a common swivel knife blade into the “low angle format”, and if there is anyone on this board that might have any info on how that might be done.  Of particular use would probably be the angle at which the blade is to be sharpened (as opposed to the more usual store bought angle), assuming that thereafter one might be required to experiment with the actual shape of the blade.

Any guidance, info, or opinions would be appreciated.    Thank you.  Fare well, db

6 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

I am betting good money, @immiketoo will have an opinion on this. I don't think there's much to do with carving, he has not thought about, tried and/or perfected! 

That was probably my video about the low angle blade.  As to the exact geometry of the blade, I don’t know what it is, but the angle of attack, is very low.  It almost looks like a straight blade from the side.  The grind of the edge is also very wide compared to other blades, think wide low roof as opposed to steep church steeple angles.  

Another thing to consider is the thickness of the blade as that will also have great impact.  These blades are narrower than your standard blade and that’s part of what gives it its feel in the leather.

honestly, you could just message Peter and buy one for 40 bucks.  Having never seen one, you’d just be guessing at the angles etc.  your call though.  Let me know if you need help ordering as Peter is a friend of mine and can be busy much of the time.

Peter is on quite a few leather pages and comment quite often. You might be able to contact him through Facebook also.

Hello,

Thank you all for the info.  My thought was that perhaps Mr Main had left the fold so to speak since when I searched did not find anything that appeared to have been posted directly by Him after 2008.  Most references thereafter were of a more oblique nature.  Will attempt to contact directly to purchase a blade.  Fare well, db

Definitely learning a lot from here. Thanks for the tips!

By the way, newbie here as well. Aside from being a leatherwork enthusiast, I'm also a critter-lovin' guy. I live with my Pomeranian, Tom. Whenever I'm outdoors, I usually walk my dog in the park, though as a precaution, I'd fit him with one of those dog shock collars, as he tends to wander off most of the time. So, that's me. Have a nice day, everyone!

Lee Valley sells many Veritas jigs for keeping angle while sharpening.

I have this one I bought for plane irons and chisels. https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/sharpening/guides/33001-veritas-sharpening-system

They also have a miniature set for smaller things, but I haven't found a need for one...yet. https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/hand-tools/miniature-tools/110480-veritas-miniature-honing-guide

DMT Diamond stones of Course and Fine, then move to Norton Wet Stones using 1000, 4000 & 8000 grits. Finish with a hard strop and white compound.

On 12/24/2019 at 8:02 PM, WoodysWorkshop said:

Lee Valley sells many Veritas jigs for keeping angle while sharpening.

I have this one I bought for plane irons and chisels. https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/sharpening/guides/33001-veritas-sharpening-system

I use this one for the last thirty years it's top! ( maybe not for all types of blades )

for me.

Edited by paloma

I am interested about the "Low Angle" blade too.  But I couldn't find any reference to the exact angle.

I thought I'd experiment a bit. I've found Almost all swivel knives sharpen at 30 degree. Using my "Different Knife Sharpener" I found that sharpening at 35 degrees each side does have the effect that Peter Main talked about.

Check out the different knife sharpener and try changing the angle yourself to see if the change of angle works for you

You could get something like the Craftool Keen Edge Sharpener and some wet dry sandpaper on a good, flat surface like a sheet of glass, granite or quartz.

I'd start with something fairly coarse to redefine the blade angle and keep stepping up to finer grits until I had a surface ready for the strop. Remember to work both sides of the bevel equally.

Regards,

Arturo

Edited by Arturomex

Here's a video of Mike Dale, using a Peter Main "Low Angle" blade and the concept of "Cut less, Bevel more"

It looks like the Peter Main swivel knife blade has a wider angle, so it doesn't cut as deep and makes it easier to bevel

I think this has been covered in another thread on Leatherworker.

I'm experimenting with a 35 degree blade, might try a 40 degree and go from there

Peter Main Low Angle.jpg

So, it looks like the sharpening angle is wider, more of a V shape causing a "low cutting angle"?

Most swivel knife blades are 30 degrees, on each side. So a wider, less deeper cut would be 35 or 40 degrees?

image.png.0e0021451f9067edc51e9d5705c1c340.png

And the bottom of the knife edge is not square, but angled. But not as sharp an angle as the bottom edge of a filigree blade?

image.png.736e7d3c99d7c6748b2ddd28ceaccef4.png

VS a filigree blade

image.png.cac231028d17cf8bd3b69dafd28817af.png

The video from the previous post was from Immiketoo. Great work! Great video!

Thanks Mike for the description you gave above.

Using a digital caliper, I see that most of my swivel blades have a thickness of 0.080" to 0.100"

I did find just one angled one that was 0.067" thick. I'm going to reshape the blade and see what happens

Edited by Lil Doodler