Dun

Bag design help, making it public

@RockyAussie was helping me with design elements and all kinds of questions, but we should make this more public so I’m not the only person learning

Thank you rocky and everyone that was helping, had a thread before where it started but can’t seem to load it right now. Anyway, I think this is where we left off

A doubled bag design instead of double gusset, allowing for a cell phone slot between two zippered section. And an easier to pattern edge/gusset than what I originally was asking about in the old thread. 

BC4CBBD5-DE5F-4787-8AB2-1990D936EF0E.jpeg

Lets over engineer this thing! (Or simplify, I’m more ambitious than my current skill level)

the plan is to use some @nstarleather black boot grained for the outside and gussets. Haven’t decided on inner walls or if it’s getting a lining yet either

measurements are just some guesses from looking at my wife’s current purse

Edited by Dun

I might need to alter the design to somehow include a way to carry some reusable chopsticks and straws.  Ideas very welcome 

I'm following along.

I'm following along.

5 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I'm following along.

Thanks! I was also trying to figure out how to simplify into a single, inside out seams-bag with a divider to create an internal double gusset... but that hasn’t felt simpler yet. 

I don’t mind all the hand stitching this will need, i’ll Just have to practice parts of it so I don’t waist leather. 

Still stumped about how to include the chopstick pouch. At first I was thinking horizontally, into the side, in between the two gussets and under the phone pocket. 

Unfortunetly, even if the side had the room to close up well, the loss of internal space would conflict with the sunglasses case

21 minutes ago, Dun said:

Still stumped about how to include the chopstick pouch.

Will the chopsticks fit down one corner if you install a leather tube, or is the bag not tall enough? (I have never used chopsticks, don't know their length etc).

2nd thought ... What about stitching a thin layer of leather to the shoulder strap, above the square ring, sewn on 2 sides and the bottom and a basic flap at the top to make a pouch to slide the chopsticks in? Depending on how long the shoulder strap is, would that make too much of the strap, too stiff?

Edited by Rockoboy
2nd thought ...

On 3/10/2019 at 1:24 PM, Rockoboy said:

Will the chopsticks fit down one corner if you install a leather tube, or is the bag not tall enough? (I have never used chopsticks, don't know their length etc).

2nd thought ... What about stitching a thin layer of leather to the shoulder strap, above the square ring, sewn on 2 sides and the bottom and a basic flap at the top to make a pouch to slide the chopsticks in? Depending on how long the shoulder strap is, would that make too much of the strap, too stiff?

The case is 10" long, but that's what keeps them from rattling and it's dishwasher safe so it easy , and if it wasn't easy we wouldn't use them. My wife has been wanting reusable for good person reason but I didn't really think about it until a shabu(soup cooked at your table) place gave us frustratingly short chopsticks to cook with.

She has shot down the the shoulder strap for crossbody strap conformt reasons too, sorry. The vertical leather tube, maybe on the outside is what I'm leaning towards or

something like on the bottom? ?

Edited by Dun

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:48 AM, Dun said:

The vertical leather tube, maybe on the outside is what I'm leaning towards

Sounds like you have this thing sorted. I am interested to see how it finishes up.

could you just put it on a side pocket within one of the gussets?