TheHollerLW

Pressure foot issues with Cowboy 3200

I am new to this machine, I have notice a circle around ever needle hole. I realize veg tan is going to have plenty of marks etc.  I have the pressure foot adjustment as light as it will go. I too the foot off and it is very smooth but a took a high grit sand paper and then buffed it and i still ave some results. Anyone have any advice? Thanks 

IMG_9165 smaller.jpg

Looks to me like the hole in the inner presser foot is way too big for the needle/thread.

Looks almost like it's getting "embossed" up into the hole.  Is your feed dog too high?

I’m using 207 with 200/25 needle here is a pic I’m not sure what the feed dog is on this machine. I’m new to machines 

E951AD2A-91DC-448A-9D10-2546E82B8275.jpeg

Edited by TheHollerLW

Ok, that looks better with the needle in, so not too big. The feed dog is the slotted piece that the thread disappears into, it normally moves back and forth with the needle in it, as well as up and down, in other words in an elliptical motion. If it is adjusted too high then as JLS suggested it will be pushing the leather up against the presser foot. With the feet up turn the handwheel until the feed dog is at its highest point and post a photo.

Edited by dikman

12 hours ago, TheHollerLW said:

I am new to this machine, I have notice a circle around ever needle hole. I realize veg tan is going to have plenty of marks etc.  I have the pressure foot adjustment as light as it will go. I too the foot off and it is very smooth but a took a high grit sand paper and then buffed it and i still ave some results. Anyone have any advice? Thanks 

IMG_9165 smaller.jpg

how thick is that stack of leather, mine does this as well as the side marks from the walking feet.  for the unfinished veg tan you can dampen and rub most of that out with a bone or tap it with a flat smooth hammer...I've found that if I make, edge, burnish, color, finish then stitch it helps alot...for the projects that are getting dyed.

1 hour ago, TheHollerLW said:

6C0184CA-4BC0-4BC2-B1D4-42377A0F8C66.jpeg

You could probably lower the feed dog down a tad, check out the videos on youtube from solar leather on how...I have never fully gotten rid of the marks, but changing the order i do things helped, don't give up on it, it's a good stitching machine and i'm glad i have it, just have to put some seat time in on it like any other tool/eqpt you are new  with.

33 minutes ago, koreric75 said:

how thick is that stack of leather, mine does this as well as the side marks from the walking feet.  for the unfinished veg tan you can dampen and rub most of that out with a bone or tap it with a flat smooth hammer...I've found that if I make, edge, burnish, color, finish then stitch it helps alot...for the projects that are getting dyed.

You could probably lower the feed dog down a tad, check out the videos on youtube from solar leather on how...I have never fully gotten rid of the marks, but changing the order i do things helped, don't give up on it, it's a good stitching machine and i'm glad i have it, just have to put some seat time in on it like any other tool/eqpt you are new  with.

Yeah I’m not giving up on this machine haha I love it, the photo is two 9oz pieces. But I have tired it on many thickness with same result. I will look online to lower the fees dog, is there a foot that is different? That isnt a round hole? 

Edited by TheHollerLW

Did you buy from a dealer or second hand?  If from a dealer, you should be seeking help from them.  This machine should have been sewen off before being sold to you to prove it was adjusted correctly.

Tom

25 minutes ago, Northmount said:

Did you buy from a dealer or second hand?  If from a dealer, you should be seeking help from them.  This machine should have been sewen off before being sold to you to prove it was adjusted correctly.

Tom

Was from a dealer, Solar leather. Spoke to them they are sending another foot but the one I have is very smooth I think it’s something else going on. My buddy had a 3200 and it does not leave a round spot ever needle punch 

My guess is not the foot itself, but the balance between the inner and outer feet.  I doubt that the foot is too long. There are others here more expert than I am.

Tom

1 hour ago, Northmount said:

My guess is not the foot itself, but the balance between the inner and outer feet.  I doubt that the foot is too long. There are others here more expert than I am.

Tom

The basic rotational setup has the inside foot making contact with the throat plate at the same time as the tip of the needle. As the wheel turns, the outer foot lifts as the needle and inside foot move the material. At the end of the stroke, the needle comes out, the outer foot drops down and the feed dog drops down and moves forward. Do you see these four motions?

There will be a means of balancing the ratio or amount of lift of the two feet, somewhere on the back or on top.

Feed dog might be a sliver high, but doesn't look like it should be a problem.  And the upper spring still works against the direction, so if that's fairly loose that maybe isn't the issue at all.

Still, if your pressure is "backed off", seems like both feet are pretty deep in the leather.  Either spring pressure or spongey leather ...

11 hours ago, TheHollerLW said:

Yeah I’m not giving up on this machine haha I love it, the photo is two 9oz pieces. But I have tired it on many thickness with same result. I will look online to lower the fees dog, is there a foot that is different? That isnt a round hole? 

I've seen some other feet from other machines if similar make that have the open toe, but not sure if it would change anything other than the shape of the impression. The videos and manuals are under the support section, http://www.solar-leather.com/supporthelp

I believe the feed dog is covered under the throat plate video as you remove it completely to attach some of them

There are different coil springs available for these machines. My stock spring is much weaker than the heavy duty I obtained down the line. That extra heavy spring always leaves an impression if it is engaged at all. Maybe the OP's machine has that E.H. spring installed.

I don’t know much about machines but I have the 3200. If your needle foot is not installed correctly it will leave those marks. I ran into that problem when I cut the front out of my needle foot. I didn’t want the hole because it made it harder to see exactly where my needle was landing. So I cut a groove in it. Reinstalled it but it did not “bottom out”. I loosened the screw that holds it on the rod and worked it up to where it “seated” and tightened screw. No more problems. 

Edited by Clintock

17 hours ago, Clintock said:

I don’t know much about machines but I have the 3200. If your needle foot is not installed correctly it will leave those marks. I ran into that problem when I cut the front out of my needle foot. I didn’t want the hole because it made it harder to see exactly where my needle was landing. So I cut a groove in it. Reinstalled it but it did not “bottom out”. I loosened the screw that holds it on the rod and worked it up to where it “seated” and tightened screw. No more problems. 

Could you post a photo of your modification? 

On 3/1/2019 at 4:12 PM, TheHollerLW said:

I’m using 207 with 200/25 needle here

Each his own, as they say, but I think tha's a BIG needle for that size thread (I use a 23 with 207).

Woulda said sumthin earlier, but was tryina leave room for somebody addressing the original issue.

Sorry I didn’t get the picture earlier this week. It’s been a hectic week with 14-15 hr work days. Here’s the mod I was talking about. Just took a dremel and cut a groove so I could see what was happening. Hope this helps. 

B13C8748-0640-4CE3-89CF-B247EE5DA7D7.jpeg

On 3/8/2019 at 2:41 PM, Clintock said:

Sorry I didn’t get the picture earlier this week. It’s been a hectic week with 14-15 hr work days. Here’s the mod I was talking about. Just took a dremel and cut a groove so I could see what was happening. Hope this helps. 

B13C8748-0640-4CE3-89CF-B247EE5DA7D7.jpeg

I imagine with softer or thinner leather it might pull up/pucker in front of the needle, no?

Awful big hole in the inner foot!!!  Do they make a foot with a smaller whole?

glenn

Not to muddy this up with beginners (like me) jumping in, but is it possible there is a presser foot tension that is too high? That mixed with the style/brand of veg tan you are using a possible culprit?

3 hours ago, luxuryluke said:

Not to muddy this up with beginners (like me) jumping in, but is it possible there is a presser foot tension that is too high? That mixed with the style/brand of veg tan you are using a possible culprit?

The OP already tried backing off the foot pressure, to no avail. Also, there is no separate pressure screw adjustment for the inside foot. Both feet are adjusted together with a big threaded cap screw on top of the machine head.