TheHollerLW

Pressure foot issues with Cowboy 3200

7 hours ago, luxuryluke said:

Not to muddy this up with beginners (like me) jumping in, but is it possible there is a presser foot tension that is too high? That mixed with the style/brand of veg tan you are using a possible culprit?

When i got my 3200, i was told the springs were the heavy duty, and that is what i wanted as i wanted the positive pressure to prevent the leather pulling up with the needle/foot...and it still hasn't skipped a stitch even on the thick and heavy stuff.  I just had to adjust my perspective of how to use the machine.  If i have "mushy" veg tan or other leather I usually contact cement the seams, dye & finish before stitching.  This tends to work better anyway as i'm not worried about dyeing my stitches.  This way and a good tapping with a polished face hammer have resolved my issues, and if you go over that with a bone even better.  Here's a long wallet I finished up this weekend, i used some bridle that cut and burnishes beautifully, stitched with the 3200, I had some marks but just tapped them down while tapping the stitches and are all but non existent now.  (the pockets on the liner were all hand stitched)

My machine came with a set of lighter springs that could be installed, but I'd rather have the staying power and adjust my process for the stuff that is prone to impressions.

Try swapping out the pressure springs for lighter/softer work. You don't need the extra heavy coils until you sew stacks of hard leather. It only takes a minute to unscrew the pressure screw.