learmant

Opinions Requested: Cowboy Sewing Machine vs. Cobra

Good morning all,

I'm considering purchasing a leather sewing machine for making holsters, belts etc., possibly tack items, too.  I've been doing research on both Cowboy and Cobra brands, which seem to be the most popular brands.  Both brands seem to be of comparable quality, features, dependability. Is there any advantage of one over the other?  Also, looking to hear what experiences people have had purchasing used Cowboy or Cobra machines.  

Thanks in advance for any information you all may provide!

Tim

I just went through the same thing.  Brought home my Cowboy a week ago today!  Both have great reputations.  I went with the Cowboy because I found someone somewhat local to me so was able to go and check it out before purchasing it and I was able to pick it up so saved on shipping costs :) 

Smartee, who did you buy from if I may ask? I'm close to you and would like to check them out.

8 minutes ago, Smartee said:

I just went through the same thing.  Brought home my Cowboy a week ago today!  Both have great reputations.  I went with the Cowboy because I found someone somewhat local to me so was able to go and check it out before purchasing it and I was able to pick it up so saved on shipping costs :) 

Thanks, and congratulations on your purchase!

Thanks learmant!

usmc0341 - I went through Ryan Neal at Cowboy/Hightex (330-692-1418) and he hooked me up with one of his guys in Mount Aire, MD - he was very thorough, knowledgeable and helpful!

Edited by Smartee
learmant - seeing as you're in Baltimore - you might want to check the Cowboy out since it's local!

19 minutes ago, Smartee said:

Thanks learmant!

usmc0341 - I went through Ryan Neal at Cowboy/Hightex (330-692-1418) and he hooked me up with one of his guys in Mount Aire, MD - he was very thorough, knowledgeable and helpful!

Smartee - yeah, I was just thinking that.  Do I need to contact Ryan Neal in Ohio, or can you tell me who to call in Mt Airy?

2 minutes ago, learmant said:

Smartee - yeah, I was just thinking that.  Do I need to contact Ryan Neal in Ohio, or can you tell me who to call in Mt Airy?

Go through Ryan and he'll hook you up! 

1 minute ago, Smartee said:

Go through Ryan and he'll hook you up! 

OK, roger that.

Walking in to a local brick and mortar business is always an extremely benefical option. 

Optional to that, these machines can and regularly pallet shipped all over the world. So this location purchase is honestly, respectfully not a real big concern. Saving on shipping most certainly is, I do agree.

What is additionally important is these are 441 type machines made from the Juki design, a few enhanced somehow. Some of these modified in design by American companies, then produced in other Asian countries to benefit the masses. 

So with your choices as you are researching your color, design and local options selling these 441 design machine options. :rockon:

Have a good Friday

Floyd

3 minutes ago, brmax said:

Walking in to a local brick and mortar business is always an extremely benefical option. 

Optional to that, these machines can and regularly pallet shipped all over the world. So this location purchase is honestly, respectfully not a real big concern. Saving on shipping most certainly is, I do agree.

What is additionally important is these are 441 type machines made from the Juki design, a few enhanced somehow. Some of these modified in design by American companies, then produced in other Asian countries to benefit the masses. 

So with your choices as you are researching your color, design and local options selling these 441 design machine options. :rockon:

Have a good Friday

Floyd

Local was the selling point to me with the two machines I was looking at.  I had never sewn on a cylinder type machine or a walking foot machine.  Both dealers were great to deal with my questions, etc. but it was nice to be able to see one in person and actually use one before making the jump! :)

You can build up your knowledge like Wiz based upon many years experience, but to the rest Local service is a great selling point and normally great value

6 minutes ago, usmc0341 said:

Thank you Smartee

You're welcome!