Sugarkryptonite

Singer 111W153 presser foot lift height

Hi guys

Am I correct in saying a Singer 111W153 should have a lift height of 3/8", or is it suppose to be less than that?

I've been trying to adjust it to do 3/8", but every time I do, when you put the presser foot down, it doesn't touch the base plate anymore, leaving a small gap.

Any tips? And what should I be loosening/adjusting exactly to make these changes?

We should dig up a manual or a pdf copy around here for this machine, its better if on the table I found.

A couple different lifts are here and these are adjusted differently. I think your onto them but Im just not sure its clear in the post to best help, so. 

Lift “ presser foot” as in using the knee bump, this has a different amount available. Separate, is the small flip handle on the back of the machine head, behind the needle, this has its own lever design and its limited to lift amount. 

Another is really totally for other purposes and it can be misinterpreted lift. This is walking foot height! Sometimes can be better called alternating foot height adjustment. This has some other key points deeper discussed.

So its just my opinion, I found in these steps there may need to be an order of these adjustments.

Have a good day

Floyd

Edited by brmax

Thanks guys. I do have the manual and have looked through it all, but no where did I find where it says how to adjust the lift height to 3/8"...

brmax I understand what you mean, I understand how to adjust the alternating feet (can someone explain why this would be done, and in which direction, if needed?). I did not notice that the lever on the back of the machine and the knee lift have a different lift height...I don't think mine does right now, but I fear I have adjusted too many things, and I'm not sure how they are suppose to be on an original working machine.

56 minutes ago, Sugarkryptonite said:

Thanks guys. I do have the manual and have looked through it all, but no where did I find where it says how to adjust the lift height to 3/8"...

brmax I understand what you mean, I understand how to adjust the alternating feet (can someone explain why this would be done, and in which direction, if needed?). I did not notice that the lever on the back of the machine and the knee lift have a different lift height...I don't think mine does right now, but I fear I have adjusted too many things, and I'm not sure how they are suppose to be on an original working machine.

You may have to loosen all the parts on the presser bar and start over. That's what I did on two of my machines based on the 111w103/153 series. They don't lift as high as the w155.

problem could be the lifting lever (see picture - know what I mean?) or how the machine is set up - please post pictures (view from left side) with open face plate and foot lift lever up

Singer Hebel.JPG

20 hours ago, Constabulary said:

problem could be the lifting lever (see picture - know what I mean?) or how the machine is set up - please post pictures (view from left side) with open face plate and foot lift lever up

Singer Hebel.JPG

Yes I see what you men. I think mine is similar to the one on the right, though. I tested it out today, and trying to lift higher with the knee lift with the lever up does nothing to raise the foot higher. Here's some pictures.

b4oWPPv.jpg

6LHZLek.jpg

This is a 3/8 piece of aluminum I was using for reference to try and adjust it.

g8knQvS.jpg

If anyone sees anything out of the ordinary or that needs adjusting please let me know, much appreciated.

Okay - I just thought the fork piece with the slider inside (for needle bar) would probably limit the foot lift but that seems not to be the case. I have seen this on a Dürkopp 239 machine which has same walking foot mechanism.

Can you push the foot lift lever over the flat side so that the slider rests on the levers "right angle" edge? Know what I mean? I can do that on my 111G156 and to me is seems the parts are all the same so I think it just has to do with the position of parts. I unfortunately have no procedure I could explain. I have setup my machine when I restored it an never had to touch or reset it ever since.

Picture 1: 10mm foot lift

Picture 2: 12mm foot lift

IMG_5735.JPG

IMG_5736.JPG

IMG_5737.JPG

I had the same problem when I was tinkering with one of my machines to try and increase the clearance under the feet. As Wiz said it was necessary to loosen the clamp on the outer presser bar to adjust the foot height. It was a lot of trial and error getting that set right and balancing it with the adjustment of the linkage at the back that operates the inner foot.

Just be aware that the clamp has a lot of tension on it from the rear lifting bar at the back. Look at page 10 of the manual I linked to, it should give you an idea of how to set the feet.

I read somewhere that foot lift adjustment is one of those things like thread tension. It may need to be adjusted on a fly for material you are sewing, it's not one time set and forget deal. So, having a gap might be OK if you deal with thick material all the time.

Thanks guys.

Constabulary, you were right! I didn't know you could raise it up higher like that, it always felt like the flat part of the lift lever was all it would go, but I just tried forcing it up higher now as you mentioned and it DOES go higher and sit on the right angle part of the lever, can easily slide the 3/8" aluminum piece under the foot now! I'm new to these industrial machines, this one being my first, so still learning :Lighten:

Also, I had accidentally loosened the screw on the upper cam which times the presser foot with the needle foot, how are they suppose to be timed relative to each other exactly? I believe I just stuck a screwdriver under them until they were both at the same height relative to each other and then tightened the screw back up...the machine seems to work fine, but still have a feeling the back of my head that it's not set 100%. The screw labeled "G" is what I had loosened.

fcCj16b.png

Edited by Sugarkryptonite

Watch this excellent video at 3:12

Edited by katit