Sign in to follow this  
ohboy

Organizing thread

I'd like to say hi to everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I've sewn fabric and worked with leather since I was little and I'm in no way a pro.

I'm starting to accumulate quite a few spools of industrial thread bonded nylon/ bonded poly #69- #207 and I have a few different brands to personally access what I like.  One thing that I have noticed is that one brand of #69 looks almost identical to another brands #92. I can feel a slight difference when I break the thread although this method lacks any accuracy.  I could thread it through a needle and gauge how it slides. Visually they are they are pretty much indistinguishable.

Is there a good way to identify unknown thread? Is there a good way to permanently mark the cones for easy identification because the stickers are terrible? 

I´m not professional either - not at all! This is my thread + odds & ends cobbler-cabinet-organizer. It originally wan mean for rubber heels. It´s not professional but I love it. :)

Usually thread spools have a sticker on top of the spool or there is one on the bottom side with thread "size", length and manufacturer / supplier.

Thread size is "calculated" by weight per meter or kilometer and not by visual thickness so it could well be that different thread sizes look the same.

IMG_5700.JPG

Do as Constabulary suggested, check for a label. The thread spool should usually be marked with a label on the inside of the bottom of the spool. With newer sewing thread it should be marked as V ##, T## or Tkt ## plus the manufacturer and type as well as other info. I have seen some of the less expense Chinese bonded nylon with just the Tkt size on the label. The difference between V69 and V92 is same, only .0018" or .0045mm difference which can make it hard to distinguish at times so sorting them out is a good idea.

kgg

It's too bad the industry doesn't standardize thread to some sort of universal language. How nice would it be if the spools of a certain weight were all the same color.....I might purchase a brand for that reason alone. The stick on ID labels haven't stayed stuck to the spools very well and I wasn't sure if someone had come up with a way too keep them from getting mixed up... other than don't mix them up.  Oh and that's a nice cabinet shelf by the way.