Ragingstallion

lighten the color

I got a special order on some fiebings purple, as the shop doesn't carry it. I am currently working on a commission, and they saw what the Fiebings purple looks like on an other project, and they really want it. problem I am having is, no matter how I apply it, be it a cloth, sponge, dobber....I can not get it to stay a consistant lighter color like they used in the picture they found. it is the exact same dye, however they used a spray gun. I do not have one! 

so my question for those who may have had a similar problem, is how do I lighten up the color without buying a spray gun? do I need to just add some reducer to it? I am unsure at this point.

Have you tried thinning it waaaaaaaaaaay down, like 5 or 6 water to 1 dye. Then dipping, if you can, and building up the colour by successive dips, allowing the item to dry a bit in between dips?

28 minutes ago, fredk said:

Have you tried thinning it waaaaaaaaaaay down, like 5 or 6 water to 1 dye. Then dipping, if you can, and building up the colour by successive dips, allowing the item to dry a bit in between dips?

no, have not tried water dilution yet. I just got it. but will give that a try

In lieu of purchasing a spray gun you can visit a local Hobby Supplies Store and see if they have the Preval Spray System.  It is an air canister that attaches to the Preval Jar where you have the dye.  Thin the dye down a bit and give the leather a spray to see where you are at.  They used to be common with Tandy but they quit selling them awhile back; I have also seen them in the big DIY stores (Lowe's, Home Depot) and even on Amazon.  They do pretty darn good without all of the more expensive investment of a full blown system.  At least that way you can determine whether or not a spray system may be a future need.

I almost always dilute my dyes 50/50, unless someone wants a very, very dark shade of the color.

I use denatured alcohol for the diluting though. 

Then I dip dye almost everything. Let dry before a second dip if needed

7 hours ago, Ragingstallion said:

I can not get it to stay a consistant lighter color like they used in the picture they found.

Sometimes the printers ink is not a true indication of dye colour.

If somebody sees a pic in a magazine, and they like the colour, you could be 'on a hiding to nothing' trying to duplicate that exact colour, even when you know the brand and name of the colour.

2 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

Sometimes the printers ink is not a true indication of dye colour.

If somebody sees a pic in a magazine, and they like the colour, you could be 'on a hiding to nothing' trying to duplicate that exact colour, even when you know the brand and name of the colour.

it was on a group I am on facebook with, they took a picture of what they did, and I asked them what color they used and they specified that it was fiebings purple that they put into their spray gun.

Trying to duplicate what somebody did can have all sorts of issues.
Have you diluted the same? Applied at the same rate? Different leather can absorb differently and maybe alter the colour.

At the end of the day, IMHO, all you can do is try and see what happens.