luxuryluke

Cylinder bed tables, adapters, handcranks, and more!

Feel free to post anything referencing this topic here. I’m looking to gather more info on setups.

Speaking of flywheels, adapters, and cranking by hand on cylinder arm/bed machines, check out these two vids. They’re both in Japanese but we know more or less what’s being explained.

Look at that table adapter later in video 1! And that handwheel crank in video 2!

This video from @Uwe of a massively transformative cylinder experience:

So, after having that video in my brain it occured to me that having a steel table, you could use all sorts of guides and alignments that used magnets (simply because a swing down alignment guide is not available for my machine).

So I'd remembered that you could get various metals laser cut from this one site for a relatively low cost. https://sendcutsend.com/pages/available-metals

So I did it. I drew up what I thought a table adapter should look like and drew it up in Illustrator (my favorite app). Creating an order on their site for what I designed was like $39+shipping. After making the order I received the receipt that mentioned they do etching as well. So i requested that they etch it with a grid and alignment lines on another file, as well as my company logo. We'll see how soon they ship it out and i'll post a pic of it here.

Finding common sizing for specific machines might work, but it would take some time and finicky revisions to get them just right. So i'm starting down that path with my machine, and you're welcome to have me order one for you if you're interested as a favor. Attached is the die cut for the laser as well as the grid etch pattern that will go on it (the vertical lines are .1" apart and line up with the needle moving away to the right) around 11" x 19" wide (the holes are for the needle plate and binder attachment plate bolts to move freely).

It will need a lot of sanding and testing, to make sure it works and is stable, but I'll keep you posted here.

Die:

1545970292_Screenshot2019-03-1514_32_15.png.0235bc245cffb84a6f3b79842a5140cd.png

Etch:

1705350874_Screenshot2019-03-1514_33_05.png.3a9e1fd836ae5514530b77c26fc79f0b.png

Okay, the manufacturer sent a pic of the finished prototype in stainless steel:

sendcutsend-necchi-platform-small.thumb.jpg.34fcfb7d7a981df5fa4950a487047c32.jpg

That is really slick!

Its definitely an interest now. Keep us posted. 

Good day

Floyd

This is for a Adler 869 or 669?

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

2 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

This is for a Adler 869 or 669?

Not specifically, no. It’s for my old Necchi 840 cylinder arm, which is similar to Adler 69 and Pfaff 335 machines (I suspect) so it’s certainly not identical. 

Very cool! Definitely update on finished pictures. I really like what they do at this place and seem to be priced well.

In the interest of your first post, with this latest prototype photo in stainless. Can you give any examples of metals available of choice they mentioned from your experiences.

I understand some stainless is magnetic, thats cool!  Im just curious of others they may use, as in aluminum possibly. Primarily for thickness but additionaly weight interest. 

Thanks for the tips

Floyd

2 hours ago, brmax said:

…aluminum possibly…

As far as that site is concerned, I linked to their metals section and it describes cold roll steel, hot roll steel, aluminum, etc. and all various thicknesses. Clearly aluminum would be lighter weight, yes. Let us know what you dream up!

Also, I just sized some urethane round belting for the new motor since I had to find the exact size of a new belt to get it to fit, I figured I’d check this stuff out. There are videos explaining how to melt the urethane to make a belt, in case you’re interested. This is .5” solid. It grips the new 45mm small motor pulley really well.  9AC459F9-F51A-459D-8EA1-4C50530414D6.jpeg.9e0d8fa911f9de59fe8c12af5e8770df.jpeg

You might need a cylinder bed machine if…

On 3/20/2019 at 3:41 PM, luxuryluke said:

As far as that site is concerned, I linked to their metals section and it describes cold roll steel, hot roll steel, aluminum, etc. and all various thicknesses. Clearly aluminum would be lighter weight, yes. Let us know what you dream up!

Also, I just sized some urethane round belting for the new motor since I had to find the exact size of a new belt to get it to fit, I figured I’d check this stuff out. There are videos explaining how to melt the urethane to make a belt, in case you’re interested. This is .5” solid. It grips the new 45mm small motor pulley really well.  9AC459F9-F51A-459D-8EA1-4C50530414D6.jpeg.9e0d8fa911f9de59fe8c12af5e8770df.jpeg

Oh Crap It just dawned on me ....LOL . I might be able to take your ( Urethane Belt bonding )  idea and use for making a New rubber tire ( big fat O-ring ) on the inboard bobbin thread winder, On my old Bernina 217N .
You cant get those bobbin big o-rings anymore, and I been looking and X-referencing other O-Rings for a long time and it been a NoGo for finding a match .
All I need to do is find the right round Diam. and start giving it a try .
.....thanks MUCH

Edited by nylonRigging

23 hours ago, nylonRigging said:

All I need to do is find the right round Diam. and start giving it a try .
.....thanks MUCH

You bet, Nylon R! That’s a cool idea.

i did order two different diameters and after having liked the feel and finish of the .5” thickness, it is a bit stiff. I’m going to make some out of .4” and see if I have better results. 

I got regular 3L orange belting, it's proper size for sewing machines

On 3/27/2019 at 3:01 PM, Matt S said:

What's the fella sewing-- a pool cue case for Paul Bunyon?

Solar Leather Machines just sold one of these to a concrete manufacturer in Mexico.  They use it for making the huge rubberized chutes that transport the gravel into various bins.    We'll be putting it up on the website in a day or so.  

LuxuryLuke,

How's that orange belt working out?   May I ask where you bought it?

I'm currently using some Accu-Link adjustable V belt on a Juki flat bed.  It seems to grip just fine but it's a little noisy.  (squeaky)

John.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:59 PM, johnnyblaze said:

How's that orange belt working out?   May I ask where you bought it?

I bought it online and got ten feet of 10mm and 10 feet of .5" (which is a bit larger at around 13mm) and I'd recommend the 10mm, since it sits inside the pulley slot better. Prices are all over the place but you'll likely find it around $6/meter… ish.

Search "urethane belt" and look for the 10mm diameter. There are all sorts of colors and styles.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=urethane+belt

Hope that helps, Johnny!