Sebastian Dumitrescu

passport sleeve help

Hello, I am new to this forum and to leather crafting. Excited to embark on a few projects here and there as a hobby. 

I am getting married in a few months and thought I would make my groomsmen a passport sleeve as a gift. I love the design Bellroy has. (https://bellroy.com/products/passport-sleeve-wallet/lo/black?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8rvqm_Tp4AIVBghpCh1jwATQEAAYASAAEgI6Q_D_BwE#image-2) I could simply by them, but i'd like to customize a little bit.

Was hoping someone could help me out with a template or any direction.

So far, I've purchased (and waiting to ship) this Saffiano leather: https://buyleatheronline.com/en/home/61-saffiano-printed-calfskin.html?search_query=saffiano&results=5

Also, I've purchased this pen to go along with the sleeve. https://www.amazon.com/Ohto-Minimo-Ballpoint-Pen-Holder/dp/B00BS52V8A

The way I was thinking of approaching this was to get one piece of leather and fold it in two, creating a pouch. I would then cut (and stitch) the slots for the cards. Thoughts?

The leather hasn't come yet, but I'm also concerned it may be to flimsy once assembled.

Thank you in advance!

1 hour ago, Sebastian Dumitrescu said:

Was hoping someone could help me out with a template or any direction.

To be honest, this looks like a pretty advanced project for a beginner. Leather working appears to be pretty easy at first glance, but takes a certain amount of experience to gain knowledge of the skills, tools and materials in order to make something as sophisticated as the sleeve you are looking at, and have the result look professional.

You will definitely want to make a prototype out of either cardboard or maybe canvas (I use "oilboard" that I get from an art supply) to get a sense of size, and to make sure that the various components line up the way you want. I have to build a prototype almost every time, as there is always some problem that I cannot see until I am holding the thing in my hands. You really don't want to waste your precious leather on a project with problems or errors.

Ok with LatigoAmigo you really have better to make a prototype and after a first piece you will see the mistakes you did.

Enjoy, Alain.

Thank you both for your help. I will make a mock-up. I will look for oil board, have been using a scrap piece of leather to make the first template version. 

Can anyone recommend how to make the leather stiffer? It's very flimsy right now. 

Thanks 

That leather is supposedly 3/4 oz. which when doubled in thickness is not what I would call flimsy.  Do you have experience with leatherworking?  Wondering if this is a good idea to start with.

2 hours ago, Sebastian Dumitrescu said:

Can anyone recommend how to make the leather stiffer? It's very flimsy right now. 

You are using a chrome-tanned leather, which is naturally softer than veg-tanned leather. There is nothing I know of that you can apply to the leather to make it stiffer, so when I need to firm up chrome-tanned leather, I line it with a fabric interfacing or a thin leather. In your case that would be difficult, so you will want to visualize the finished product and know that by the time the hide is folded and sewn together, it will look and work great. Keep in mind that hides do not have uniform firmness; the shoulders and back are more firm than the belly.