Danne

Finishing edges tutorial (With edge paint)

I think I did a tutorial like this a couple of years ago, but I've learned a lot since then. There are no correct way to paint edges, but there are some DON'TS.

What you shouldn't do

1. Burnish edges with Tokonole or similar agents before painting. You can dry burnish before paint but you have to sand before applying paint.

2. Make too large bevels on really tight folds (Your paint will stretch until it cracks)

3. Paint a new layer on a surface that's not flat (Except the first layer)

TOOLS/MATERIALS

1. Edge paint: This is Fenice, good alternatives are Uniters, Giardini, Stahl, Vernis 600, Beraud CT. Especially Uniters seems very popular, but I stay with Fenice since I'm used to this paint, and I get good results.

2. Edge beveler: This is a Kyoshin Elle size 0. 

3. Creaser: This is a Fileteuse from Regad, and a FN2 iron for creasing, and S05H for heating/smoothing edges, and melting paraffin. A Fileteuse is a big investment and manual alternatives (Heat over alcohol lamp) like Wuta works really good for both creasing and smoothing edges. If you don't have anything of this, you can skip this step and use friction with a heavy cloth after the first layer of paint.

4. Paraffin wax: You can use either paraffin or beeswax.

5. Sandpaper 400: This is wet and dry from Mirka. (Glued to a piece of rubber mat)

6. Sandpaper 800: This is wet and dry from Mirka. (You can go to a higher grit if you want)

7. Burnishing cloth: (Clean)

8. Burnishing cloth: (Paraffin/Beeswax)

9. Awl: For applying edge paint. Some use edge rollers or brushes, but this is my preferred method.

(10. Crepe Rubber optional:) For cleaning the edge transition if needed.

1.JPG.9c1022ef53f483e01b99c7008d2180f2.JPG

STEPS FOR PAINTING EDGES

1. Cut edges flush and or sand them.

2. Bevel the edges (optional)

3.JPG.8b44283db632a0944d06beb809feb971.JPG

3. Paint first layer. Paint a relatively thin layer of paint.

4.JPG.f74cbaa5f7f61f4f2489536730f1254e.JPG

4. Crease the edge on both sides. If you have a large contrast between leather color and edge paint, it's important you didn't use to much paint in the last step.

5.JPG.89d1df1129797517c5b09b67451386d7.JPG

5. Smooth edges This promotes adhesion of paint and also removes the line between layers of leather. I use a high temperature here (7 on Regad) If you use the iron Wax spatula from Regad use a lower temperature because your tool could break.

6.JPG.a73a73346657c915efd6d1d7db7ab083.JPG

6. Dry burnish Lay you leather flat on your desk and burnish edges with a clean cloth (Not used with wax) Do this with both Chrome/combination tanned and vegetable tanned.

7.JPG.bcdc9653124a36fd3b9a078a2f87619e.JPG

7. Sand the edge Use 400 grit. Don't stop sanding until your edge is good, if you sand through a lot (especially in folds) I would recommend heating the next layer of paint also.

8.JPG.b1b6050588b5c1a185b36e27390461d3.JPG

8. Paint edge A thicker layer this time.

9.JPG.baef7b76ec7e16620e0cb1c87e22f10f.JPG

9. Proceed with painting and sanding edges until you are happy with your edge. There is no need to heat/smooth with Fileteuse/heated creaser apart from after the first layer of paint. When your edge is perfect, sand it with 800 grit (or go higher if you want) 

10. Rub paraffin on your edge and melt it with Fileteuse or heated creaser. (I use temp 3 on my Regad, you don't want to melt your edge paint here)

11. Burnish your edge with a have cloth.

12. Edge is finished, now you can have a beer or a coffee and show your edge in this thread. (Sorry for the photo, I'm no photographer and struggle to get a nice photo of the edge. (Edit. Sorry Uk friends. Of course Tea is okay too :))

10.JPG.46be6902a5a6253681ddd9885e235e81.JPG

Edited by Danne

Thanks for sharing Danne, :thumbsup:

Your results are impeccable, but why crease after painting?

I usually crease first, apply first layer, burn it down, sand, apply more layers, sand, etc ..

2 hours ago, tofu said:

Your results are impeccable, but why crease after painting?

I usually crease first, apply first layer, burn it down, sand, apply more layers, sand, etc ..

It depends on the choice of creaser and leather. But with the FN-creaser I get a nicer transition between the edge and top layer if I creaser after the first layer of paint. Give it a try and share what you think.

I'll give it a shot on the next handle I make. I generally don't crease the handles, but I'll play with it. Thanks

Thanks for this. Have you had success with this method on oil tanned or pull up leathers?

16 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Thanks for this. Have you had success with this method on oil tanned or pull up leathers?

I never tried edge paint on oily/waxy leathers. Maybe you need to use adhesion promoter? 

50 minutes ago, Danne said:

I never tried edge paint on oily/waxy leathers. Maybe you need to use adhesion promoter? 

I haven't tried edge paint at all. But, I am using a lot of pull up leathers lately from Acadia. I was just curious.

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

Have you had success with this method on oil tanned or pull up leathers?

Hi bikermutt, I have used the edge paint on a couple of projects on oiled calf and saw no problems with it. The paint was Giardini.

On 3/21/2019 at 4:23 AM, bikermutt07 said:

I haven't tried edge paint at all. But, I am using a lot of pull up leathers lately from Acadia. I was just curious.

@bikermutt07 I've heard seen folks using denatured alcohol or similar to wipe the edge down prior to using a binder. Then the actual edge paint is added. 

On 3/21/2019 at 5:14 AM, bikermutt07 said:

I am currently using Fenice edge paint on a very waxy Horween Dublin lined with Chevre Chagrin.  Barge cement is useless to give you an idea of how waxy it is.  I'll post the results when I am done.  The project is a prototype, so I won't be going after the flawless edge that @Danne has achieved.  I have only just applied the first layer, and letting it dry.

YinTx

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 9:36 PM, YinTx said:

I am currently using Fenice edge paint on a very waxy Horween Dublin lined with Chevre Chagrin.  Barge cement is useless to give you an idea of how waxy it is.  I'll post the results when I am done.  The project is a prototype, so I won't be going after the flawless edge that @Danne has achieved.  I have only just applied the first layer, and letting it dry.

YinTx

Finished up, with adequate results.  will post photos when I have a functional computer.

YinTx

Ok, laptop seems functional again.  Here are the images as promised.  Again, not as great as Danne's but adequate for a prototype item.

YinTx

HorweenEdge1LoRes.thumb.jpeg.924da06246d490c89d6b23eed28c44b2.jpeg

HorweenEdge3LoRes.thumb.jpeg.b65ac04e320a9741521f95bf9abd50c5.jpeg

6 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Ok, laptop seems functional again.  Here are the images as promised.  Again, not as great as Danne's but adequate for a prototype item.

YinTx

HorweenEdge1LoRes.thumb.jpeg.924da06246d490c89d6b23eed28c44b2.jpeg

HorweenEdge3LoRes.thumb.jpeg.b65ac04e320a9741521f95bf9abd50c5.jpeg

Edges look good, they look very similar to my edges before my last sanding (light sanding with 400 grit and 800 grit) and finish with melting paraffin wax and polish with a cloth.

Regarding the adhesion you seemed to be worried about when it comes to waxed/oily leathers. I have no experience with this, but I have seen two things. Some people use isopropanol/alcohol on the edge before painting to remove some of the oils/waxes. I have also seen people using both primers from Fenice and Giardini (before using Fenice edge paint) Maybe you can do some test on scrap pieces and after really cured try to bend it back and forth to see how it holds up? If you do, please update us with the results.