katit

Is there standard for twin needle machines?

Ok.  Machine is a walking foot because I see three shafts coming down.  One for needle, one for inner foot, one for outer feet.  It is a 138W102 but the SV means special version.  The HP does stand for high post.   That is a rare machine.  Never seen one.  The feet changing would probably not be a problem.   I had a double needle version of the 111 which was a 111W139 and the feet look the same.  The throat plate and feed dog is another story.  I think Consew makes a double needle walking foot post that might fit your throat plate and feed dog.  We need to see pics of the feed dog out of the machine and the throat plate.  what is the gauge spacing on this machine?  Should be a number on the feet like 5/16",3/8".,  you get the idea.  As Greg stated, the most normal gauge spacing is 1/4" in apparel, 3/8" in upholstery.  If you ever find prices for the different parts like the feed dog, outer foot, etc.,  the 1/4" is usually the cheapest because it was the most popular in a lot of fields.

What are they selling it for?  $500.00 would be a good price if it works in my opinion because of the rarity.   Love to see more pics of the machine especially from the front and back.

glenn

39 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

Ok.  Machine is a walking foot because I see three shafts coming down.  One for needle, one for inner foot, one for outer feet.  It is a 138W102 but the SV means special version.  The HP does stand for high post.   That is a rare machine.  Never seen one.  The feet changing would probably not be a problem.   I had a double needle version of the 111 which was a 111W139 and the feet look the same.  The throat plate and feed dog is another story.  I think Consew makes a double needle walking foot post that might fit your throat plate and feed dog.  We need to see pics of the feed dog out of the machine and the throat plate.  what is the gauge spacing on this machine?  Should be a number on the feet like 5/16",3/8".,  you get the idea.  As Greg stated, the most normal gauge spacing is 1/4" in apparel, 3/8" in upholstery.  If you ever find prices for the different parts like the feed dog, outer foot, etc.,  the 1/4" is usually the cheapest because it was the most popular in a lot of fields.

What are they selling it for?  $500.00 would be a good price if it works in my opinion because of the rarity.   Love to see more pics of the machine especially from the front and back.

glenn

Glenn,

Thanks for feedback! It does look like 3/8 spacing but I didn't see it better. Also I measured spacing in car(s) seats that I like and it's 7-8mm which is slightly less. I'm pretty sure machine works, but there will be no way to test it. It turns, it's even threaded. But years and years of grime. No rust though from what I can tell. From what I know it was taken off the factory all working.

So, SV (special version) can mean anything I guess? I only see top of the post rounded and I guess this part is special. What kind of other "special" stuff they did?

I am guessing I can get it for 100-200 as is. Wanted to make sure I can get little more after it's cleaned/adjusted and working if I decide to get rid of it.

Adding larger pic of the post..

IMG_2949.jpg

Edited by katit

I would buy it just because of the rarity and the $100.00-200.00 price

glenn

Purchased manual before machine. Anyway, not sure what it means. 102 is not for heavy thread? What is heavy in w103 would mean? I don’t need more than 138 on top...

FE27B152-2CBF-4A82-AC1E-D1E13F7B9FBE.jpeg

I got my answer. 103 is definitely heavy duty and not what I need. Judging by needle size 102 is just perfect for upholstery. Need to figure out where to get 126x10 needles..

37EDE9A5-4B19-4E78-867E-C4D93093E405.jpeg

call New England Needle and ask for Tom.  He would know or would have them.  You could also call Diamond Needle in NY.

glenn

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:41 AM, shoepatcher said:

call New England Needle and ask for Tom.  He would know or would have them.  You could also call Diamond Needle in NY.

glenn

Picked up machine. Well, it's not exactly as in manual, guess this is where "SV" is?

First of all sticker says 135x17-20 needle, so it's "regular" one..

Stitch size adjustment not on pulley as in manual.

Also see custom needle plate customization - like a ramp brazed on. And a walking (vibrating feet) look unusual. And it's 1/2 gauge :( Too much for me, will be looking for 3/8 or smaller one.

And it's VERY VERY heavy...

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2989.jpg

IMG_2990.jpg

IMG_2991.jpg

IMG_2992.jpg

The feet on this machine seem to be set up for applying tape to a seam....has the tape slot *made in*, along with a centering guide on the inner foot. The gauge set for your desired needle spacing will have a new needle plate with the feed dogs and needle holder. If you are making *gear* with the frequent 3D internal shapes, this could be worth hanging on to. The needle system is a good thing too, loads of choices, brands, sizes. How does the stitch adjuster on this one look? Lots of machines that were used in factories for a dedicated operation had some features (like the stitch length) disabled so they couldn't be tampered with or adjusted by the operator. Could be trivial to reset to original.

-DC

I think adjustment can be made from a top, see picture. But no "user" adjustment. It should be (by manual) on a pulley but it's not. Needle system on sticker also doesn't match what's in a book. I will remove needle and see if it's 135x17 as I got those. Would be nice if it's in fact 135x17.

I want to make seams like on a picture. 3D for car upholstery. Those are decorative without any tape usually. And need to be less than 3/8..

IMG_2993.JPG

IMG_2995.jpg

Stitch adjustment is on top above the timing belt in the picture.  She is a beast.  Feet look like they are off a 112W139.  This requires more investigation on your part.  We need to see the feed dog.  Capped bobbin hooks like on a 168W101.

glenn

On 3/12/2019 at 2:30 PM, katit said:

Glenn,

Thanks for feedback! It does look like 3/8 spacing but I didn't see it better. Also I measured spacing in car(s) seats that I like and it's 7-8mm which is slightly less. I'm pretty sure machine works, but there will be no way to test it. It turns, it's even threaded. But years and years of grime. No rust though from what I can tell. From what I know it was taken off the factory all working.

So, SV (special version) can mean anything I guess? I only see top of the post rounded and I guess this part is special. What kind of other "special" stuff they did?

I am guessing I can get it for 100-200 as is. Wanted to make sure I can get little more after it's cleaned/adjusted and working if I decide to get rid of it.

Adding larger pic of the post..

IMG_2949.jpg

The feet & needlebar will be no problem to get,it's the feed dog & needle plate,I've never seen any like that on a Singer before,that's probably what the SV(special version) is about.So you'll have to call Tennessee Attachment & send your old plate & feed dog to them & they'll make what ever guage you want. I really doubt you ever find any like that.

Thank you! Looks like I need to get it running on a table first. Then I will start looking around for a set. Maybe it's not working at all :)

Machine is on a table finally. Did surface cleaning and lube. Now I see some things.

1. Machine is not used that much. All internals look good, no excessive screwdriver marks

2. Machine out of time. Both front feet and needle bar hitting about 3/8 in front of feed dog. Need adjustment.

I wanted to take out feed dog but couldn't. Seems like I need to take at least left bobbin out, blue arrow shows where it's at. 

Right now my plan is to get it adjusted/running. Once I see it working - I will be trying to source parts for gauge change. It is 1/2 inch right now. I need 5/16 preferably or 3/8

Pictures show feet and throat plate/feed dog. Any clue on what they look like?

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

Wow. Gauge set is 3x+ of machine cost :)

1) 138SET, 5/16” or 3/8” gauge complete gauge set for Singer 138 Walking foot  $675 each

For individual parts minus the feet:

1) 264102, 5/16” or 3/8” throat plate S138  $163 each

1) 264018, 5/16” or 3/8” feed dog S138 $116 each

1) 237181, 5/16” or 3/8” needle clamp/bar S138  $225 each