Well, she's finished in all her flawed glory.  Still need lots of practice with horses I think, but many thanks to all those who helped me get this one as good as it is.  For a guy who can't draw stick figures, I reckon I'm doin ok...

Made this with some of that older Tandy leather like I have in the "for sale leather and lace" section, conditioned with some beeswax/neatsfoot oil blend I've made.  Mahagony dye and antique, Tan Kote resist and Resolene top coat.  9 oz outside, 5 oz inside.  Heavy Fil Au Chinois Brique linen thread.

I'll probably put this one for sale, anyone have any idea what a tooled padfolio goes for these days?

YinTx

HorsePadfolio1LoRes.thumb.jpg.4f0a40401955d426ec429ac388203c87.jpg

HorsePadfolio4LoRes.thumb.JPG.5c84fa99754b0401e9b23c14e7a90ca8.JPG

HorsePadfolioInside2.thumb.jpg.9de7154ed45ff533592f31b4fb87138f.jpg

HorsePadfolioInside1LoRes.JPG.4abdff22609a3bfe963bb809cc2e586e.JPG

I like it. You did a nice job.

Very nice work.

Looks great, but I am wondering about the horse's eye, does that need some colour or some tooling to show the eyeball better? The horse looks blind.

Yin...once again you are being too hard on yourself!   Looks mighty fine to me\

\Ross

Nicely done.

3 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Looks great, but I am wondering about the horse's eye, does that need some colour or some tooling to show the eyeball better? The horse looks blind.

I tried to follow @yaklady's tutorial on horse eyes, not that I did as well as her, but I tried.  I think maybe since there is no distinction of a pupil, it seems like a blind eye.  But, in general, you don' see the white of the horse's eye very often, and the pupil is difficult to distinguish.  I could have perhaps added a bit of dye to make the eye all dark, and tried to give it a white highlight as though there were a reflection off of a shiny round object, would make it seem more alive.  I haven't done a lot of eyes per se, so lots of room for experimenting and improvement for sure!

1 hour ago, Rossr said:

Yin...once again you are being too hard on yourself!   Looks mighty fine to me\

\Ross

Appreciate that Ross!

YinTx

1 hour ago, YinTx said:

lots of room for experimenting and improvement for sure!

I hope I have not steered you wrong. I think this is an exceptional piece of art, the likes of which I can only dream of doing. The eye is just one small thing that I noticed.

7 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

I hope I have not steered you wrong. I think this is an exceptional piece of art, the likes of which I can only dream of doing. The eye is just one small thing that I noticed.

Not at all, and thanks for the compliment!

1 hour ago, spacedog said:

Nicely done.

Thank you kindly!

YinTx

Mighty fine stitching, great carving, excellent burnishing on the visible edges and nice colouring. What's not to like? Great job that!

Wish I could do horses that well. I sell mine for 150

Edited by Colt W Knight

On 3/10/2019 at 3:05 PM, Riem said:

Mighty fine stitching, great carving, excellent burnishing on the visible edges and nice colouring. What's not to like? Great job that!

Thanks!  I stressed about the coloring a lot.  I really want to learn to do highlighting with dye, but haven't managed it yet.  As much as I wanted to do that here, I couldn't stomach ruining the entire piece lol.

10 hours ago, Colt W Knight said:

Wish I could do horses that well. I sell mine for 150

Appreciate the comment and the info, Colt.

YinTx

Yin- great job on the stitching- and edges from my untrained eyes! The horse neck is stretched but its a matter of perspective- as I cant do ANY of these things right now- no complaints from me- its a good showing of skill to boot!

"Only draw stick figures" you say... riiiight- google "leonardo da vinci horse sketches" for a good character study in necks, shoulders and perspectives on horse "lines" It may help you some with angles and perspective. Just a thought.

3 hours ago, SilverForgeStudio said:

google "leonardo da vinci horse sketches"

What a fantastic idea, why didn't I think of that!??  Thanks!

Only draw stick figures

yeah, and couldn't ever even do that well either lol.  :blush:

Yin- great job on the stitching- and edges

Thank you much!

YinTx