bikermutt07

My new strops.... One might be an original idea?

I know one is kind of plain, but I thought the second one was a good idea.

6E3E3846-43AD-4357-AEE0-9CA8DD59DE05.jpeg

This one is made from a piece of PVC pipe.

AE7E9FFA-9E8B-4ED9-8F5C-259C4661AC9C.jpeg

I like the pipe idea!  Who made the knife?

Had never thought of using PVC pipe to make a Stroop?   Great idea.   What did you use to adhere the leather to the pvc?

I made a strop for the internal curve of a spoon carving knife from a length of 15mm copper water pipe. Just glued on some thin leather recovered from an old chair. The glue was general purpose like UHU or Bostik

5 hours ago, Rhale said:

I like the pipe idea!  Who made the knife?

It's from Terry Knipshield. It is his curved detail knife. He is a Fantastic knife maker. He is extremely particular and extremely backed up for the last six years, but is also very reasonably priced. I currently own 3 of his knives and have two on order that I may see in June. He is a one man show and I always promise not to pester him. My patience has always paid off.

2 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Had never thought of using PVC pipe to make a Stroop?   Great idea.   What did you use to adhere the leather to the pvc?

I just used Barge's. I imagine plumbing cement would have worked as well.

Use of the pipe for a strop is a good idea

Not to blow cold air on your good idea, tube shaped whetstones for sharpening scythes and gardeners' curved blade knives have been around for centuries. But they are coarse sharpening stones not strops

Edited; to add a thought. If a piece of pipe was to be sectioned and leather stuck to the inside curve, could it be used for a strop on blades like round knives?

Edited by fredk

21 minutes ago, fredk said:

Use of the pipe for a strop is a good idea

Not to blow cold air on your good idea, tube shaped whetstones for sharpening scythes and gardeners' curved blade knives have been around for centuries. But they are coarse sharpening stones not strops

Edited; to add a thought. If a piece of pipe was to be sectioned and leather stuck to the inside curve, could it be used for a strop on blades like round knives?

Thanks for the heads-up on the old stones.

Fot the inside curve with a round knife?....... I think it would have to be a big diameter. 

One could maybe turn a spooned out spool shape on a lathe and glue leather to it and maybe mount said spool to a drill press or leave it in the lathe and have a power strop for their round knife......Hhhhhmmmmmmm???? I wonder?

Maybe the best or most dangerous idea ever, who knows?

We may have stumbled onto something, Ferg....

Edited by bikermutt07

55 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

. . .

Fot the inside curve with a round knife?....... I think it would have to be a big diameter.

. . . 

PVC pipe is available in many big sizes. Just a section of one, say 5 inch diameter pipe would probably do a 4 to 4.5 inch round head knife. Or a smaller section curve and the knife could be stropped across in stages [?]

Edited by fredk

1 hour ago, fredk said:

PVC pipe is available in many big sizes. Just a section of one, say 5 inch diameter pipe would probably do a 4 to 4.5 inch round head knife. Or a smaller section curve and the knife could be stropped across in stages [?]

I guess I'm having a hard time seeing it in my head....

I may have some big pipe at work. I'll see if I can imagine it.

I think it comes down to 3D printing, you could design with the knife at the correct angle and extend to a length of curved material so the angle would be right for sharpening say a 15 or 20 degree angle, but probably new one for each different blade size and shape