JJN

I Just Bought a Patcher. Can Anyone Identify it?

I bought this "Patent Elastic" patcher sewing machine today. I will pick it up on Monday. Its a full day of driving. These are the only photos I have until I pick it up. The photos are not very good, but it looks like it is not a rust bucket and still has a lot of the original paint. It is always a good sign when an older machine still has thread in it. I am told it sewed fine the last time it was used several years ago.

From what I have read on here about these patchers, there were a few different brands that had the Patent Elastic name on them. Can anyone tell me more about this machine? Maker, bobbin size, needle system, maximum thickness & thread and value?

Thanks

patcher.jpg

patcher2.jpg

Edited by JJN
typo

@Egits, that is a great resource. I will be spending some there researching. Thanks for posting it.

I see you live in Ohio. I was born in Parma and grew up in Seven Hills.

That sir is a fantastic design from the height of victorian design (even though german)and should be in a museum as a piece of beautiful design and function, but do enjoy it to the full

CLAES Patent Elastic or Colibri. Needle system should be System 81 or 88 depending on the hook size. You still can buy them. The modern CLAES  8346 are still using these needles systems. Could be that these old machines also came with 3 different shuttle / hook sizes - just as the later models RPX /  200 / 8345 /8346. To my best knowledge CLAES is still using the same shuttle / hook type today. But minor modifications maybe required if you want to use a new made hook in these old machines. Thats what CLAES once told me when I asked for Mod. 200 spare parts a while ago. I don´t know if it was the same with the Patent Elastic patchers but only the largest hook model (-3 or -30 subclass) is using the longer system 88 needles. The smaller hook models were using system 81 needles.

I think LW Member SHOEPATCHER knows more and he probably has some spare parts.

I picked up the machine yesterday. My first impression is it is smaller than I thought it would be. I had to load it and run so I didn't really look at it until today. It is still dirty but I wiped it off a little and oiled the obvious pivot points. I made a couple tension adjustments and threw a scrap piece of leather under it and it made a nice stitch. I am surprised and happy. Super smooth and quite. Here are some updated photos.

claes-01.jpg

claes-02.jpg

claes-03.jpg

claes-04.jpg

Edited by JJN
typo

Forgive the complete neophyte questions...

I've seen such "patchers" before (though few as elegant), but don't know what the particular "niche" is for such a contraption.

(guessing...)
Is it meant to be used as something in between an industrial sewing machine, and say, a big Landis harness stitching machine?
Why is it called a patching machine? What is it meant to "patch"?

Sorry...I'm clueless as to the nature of this elegant machine. A little insight as to its uses etc. would be great  ;)

Patchers were mostly used by cobblers, and you'll still find one in just about every good cobbler's shop.  They are meant for patching shoes and such, back when folks actually fixed rather than replaced.  The arm is very long and skinny to get into tight places.  The feed is from the top only, and can pivot 360 degrees so that you can change sewing direction while the arm is still buried in a boot or such.   

That pivoting head / feed makes them pretty useful for a lot of odd situations.  They aren't necessarily something you'd want for the majority of your sewing needs, but for those certain situations, there isn't any other type of machine that can easily do them.

- Bill

Thanks @billybopp...makes sense. I'm learning. Slowly, but learning!

The bobbin measures 0.615" diameter, 0.255" wide with a 0.110" hole. Any idea where to find more?

The needle has a 2mm shank and measures 1.796" or 45.6mm in length. There is no scarf, just a long groove on one side and a short groove around the eyelet on the other side. I think this may be a system 81 needle but have not been able to confirm that. Can anyone verify this and provide a source?

JJN, that is just simply beautiful  :):) 

JazzBass , I have a patcher, its a  100 y old Singer table top  , ( unrestored with worn paint and all )   not as ornate as the Patent Elastic, but still works fine. It can do stitches that other machines can't, thanks to the 360 degree foot. And parts are still available. 

HS 

JNN,

These old shoe patchers are designed in the old style of the 1880's.  Great machines.  Bradbury, Politype, Claes & Fetje,  Dandy were all designed in this style.  The cheap Chinese one is the only one made in this style today.  Even Claes' design has changed.  The needles it used had no scarf on them.  It was designed later.    Hooks are almost non existent.  However, I found a bobbin that will work in the hook. 

It measures:   dia.  0.604", height  0.206" , hole opening 0.161"   Cost   $1.25ea.   

Did you get my email on the manual for the clicker?     Call Diamond Needle or New England Needle to get the specs on the #81 needle.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher
forgot something

@shoepatcher, Glenn, No I did not get your email about the clicker. where did you send it? I will send you a LW message with my contact info. Thanks!

John

I used an image from a German language Claes manual for the patent elastic to see what the original bobbin winder should look like. I found the one shown in the photo below in the Netherlands on Ebay and bought it. I think it is the correct one. I am looking forward to getting it and adding it to the machine. It was listed as an antique Watchmakers Lathe which is totally incorrect. I have owned many watchmakers lathes and this is not one.

bobbin-winder-compare.jpg

Edited by JJN
added info

Hello all!

Maybe following information could be helpful for someone. I've bought the same machine as JJN and sent a letter to Claes on their website where I asked about needles and shuttles. That's they answered me:

Hello,

I have to say sorry but for this machine we do not have any original parts in stock.

In the past when other customers with the same machine needed spare parts I always told them the following.

Spare parts from our current machine can also be used with restrictions. Especially with the needles and shuttles you want, there is a high probability that it will work with these parts.

regarding the shuttle:

It is possible that a new shuttle does not fit into the machine straight away, because of the modern manufacturing processes, much narrower tolerances are possible than 150 years ago. Then some material has to be ground off on the circumference of the shuttle or the hole in the machine has to be drilled out. This is mostly only a few 1/10 mm.

regarding the needles:

I know from previous campaigns that the needles for your machine have to be a little longer, even though they have the same needle system as the needles that we are currently using. That means that something has to be done to make it work, like NOT pushing the needles into the needle bar as far as they will go.

In both cases, however, you must first determine which subclass your machine has. The easiest way to do this is to determine the diameter of a bobbin and compare it with the attached PDF.

Shuttle for subclass 10 costs 155,29€/pc

Shuttle for subclass 20 costs 68,55€/pc

Shuttle for subclass 30 costs 177,86€/pc

Needles always cost 0,62€/pc. But these are only available in packs with 10 needles.

Then there are the shipping costs to Latvia and if you don't have a sales tax identification number (in Lettland "Pievienotas vertibas nodoklis") we have to charge 19% sales tax.

best regards
Sven Schallenberg
production manager
CL Maschinenbau GmBH
I'm from Latvia by the way)

JJN,

You get your patent elastic up and running?

glenn

On 12/4/2021 at 8:05 AM, shoepatcher said:

JJN,

You get your patent elastic up and running?

glenn

Glenn,

I did. it cleaned up real nice. There is not much wear that I can see. I am not using it though, kind of a display item in my office. I picked up two other patchers since. An Adler 30--15 and a Singer 29k72. I want to get the Singer 29k72 restored and working in my shop.

John

nice