Dun

Thread learning

So I experimented on CHENGYIDA WHITE STRONG WAXED HAND SEWING THREAD

and like it, but I don't know enough to know why. 

"1 Spool 1mm HAND SEWING THREAD (284 Yards)"

"Heavy Duty Polyester Braided Thread for Leather and Canvas Sewing etc."

Here's a couple projects with it

Any idea what are the good qualities of it? So I know what to look for in starting to fine tune my preferences.

I would like recommendations for future thread purchases, especially sized for a new 3mm set of pricking irons, but even more so I'd like to learn why I'm enjoying this kind of thread? and how to explain that

Edited by Dun

I would suggest that tiger thread in size 0.6mm may be a thread to considre for the 3mm irons

7 hours ago, chrisash said:

I would suggest that tiger thread in size 0.6mm may be a thread to considre for the 3mm irons

Thanks,  This one?

the characteristics are better described on that listing

Tiger thread aka Ritza 25 is available on Amazon, Ebay, and Etsy.  it is pricier but better than the Chengyida or other generic threads out there.  it is a tighter braid, seems stronger, and has a better amount of wax on it.  The cost of thread used per project is minor so I recommend buying a small spool to test it.

The 0.6mm is good for 3mm irons IMO.  0.8mm looks good with 3.85mm irons and 1mm for 4-5mm.

7 minutes ago, johnv474 said:

Tiger thread aka Ritza 25 is available on Amazon, Ebay, and Etsy.  it is pricier but better than the Chengyida or other generic threads out there.  it is a tighter braid, seems stronger, and has a better amount of wax on it.  The cost of thread used per project is minor so I recommend buying a small spool to test it.

The 0.6mm is good for 3mm irons IMO.  0.8mm looks good with 3.85mm irons and 1mm for 4-5mm.

Thanks! I don't know why but links on this forum seem to just reopen the thread instead go to the amazon page I was trying to reference. 

I hadn't really payed attention to pre-waxed threads yet, I've just been waxing that chengyida thread myself.

I inadvertently triggered an interesting, but not critical ( thus "no worries" ) , but interesting "Bug" in the posting part of the software..ignore it..

Edited by mikesc

Thanks! I don't know why but links on this forum seem to just reopen the thread instead go to the Amazon page I was trying to reference.

Actually they don't ..
But if you make a mistake when making them into a "link"..they probably will..
Really simple way to make sure that they don't do that..
 When your address bar shows the page that you want to link to..
 move your cursor ( mouse pointer ) up to it..then "right click"..then choose "select all"..then choose "copy"

then when you make your post , at the point when you want to put your link..
 right click and choose "paste"

Then go up ( move your mouse cursor ) to the picture that looks like a chain link..left click on it..

a "modal window" ( where a white box opens on a greyed out background ) will open

..It will show two options, in "boxes"..click the top box..and right click "paste"..

you'll see the URL that you wanted ( Amazon..or whatever..in this example case to show you, I chose  Harry's thread and the last comment made in it ) will get pasted automatically into that box

Then "left click on where it says "insert into post" then hit "enter"..and you'll be bounced back into your posting box..and the link will be there..

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/85228-nova-pro-15000mw-800mm-x-400mm-laser/?tab=comments#comment-577776

Move your cursor to below the link that you just made ..

( the line with the blue underlining ) ..

then "left click" ..and ( if you want to write or post anything else.. continue typing..when you are all finished..left click on the button at bottom right side where it says "submit reply"..

and "Robert will be your mothers brother" ( Bob 's your Uncle" ) ..

English for "Voila!"..

HTH ( Hope that helps ) :) M

It ( the GUI= General User Interface ) is not as intuitive as the software designers ( not Johanna's fault at all ) think it is...."don't fret it".. :)

Edited by mikesc

Yup did that.

On 3/10/2019 at 12:55 PM, Dun said:

Thanks,  This one?

the characteristics are better described on that listing

i wouldn't of copy pasted my own thread's url when trying to link to amazon earlier.

pasted link in above box and am now in link text box

that time it worked, but that is the same set of actions I did before. It's also not the first time I've clicked on other people's links and the thread just refreshed itself

Edited by Dun

If you like that thread, stick with it, it looks good to me.  It is advertised as waxed but probably lightly is my guess.  You can get roundish thread or flat.  Ritza 25 is flat.  Some like it, some don't.  In your other thread closer stitch spacing was discussed.  Did you try it?  I think what they call 1.0mm would look great with 3mm Craftool irons

Just now, Tugadude said:

If you like that thread, stick with it, it looks good to me.  It is advertised as waxed but probably lightly is my guess.  You can get roundish thread or flat.  Ritza 25 is flat.  Some like it, some don't.  In your other thread closer stitch spacing was discussed.  Did you try it?  I think what they call 1.0mm would look great with 3mm Craftool irons

I finally just got a 3mm craftool with 2 prongs so I can go around corners, so I need to do a test with this ritza 25 .6 mm and the chengyida 1 mm still. besides I do need more stitching practice! 

I hear you..( directed to Dun :) ) as you noticed, I inadvertently triggered another "bug"..whilst i was replying to you..

It may well be that the forum  software does not "hold" the clipboard item that the poster is intending to paste..

( can be a problem with fora that are heavily reliant upon javascript and or ajax "calls".."latency" can throw them "for a loop"

I do notice ( and have done for some time now ) that what I'd call ( anti-flood ) = protection against multiple postings of the same post ) happen a lot..poster sees "not posted", system is processing the post, poster hits "submit" again, and ( maybe ) again , system "eventually" posts ( when it "catches up ) multiple copies of the same post..seems to be  on Tom's watch a lot..( you have my sympathies Tom :)..

Even while I'm typing this I see the system telling me there are new replies ( currently it is showing me 3 "new replies" ) ..

It is an occasional problem with any "push" system..Depends upon how the server is set up, and how fast it is , and how fast the connected boxen are..

Edited by mikesc

1 minute ago, mikesc said:

I hear you..Ias you noticed, I inadvertently triggered another "bug"..whilst i was replying to you..

It may well be that the forum  software does not "hold" the clipboard item that the poster is intending to paste..

( can be a problem with fora that are heavily reliant upon javascript and or ajax "calls".."latency" can throw them "for a loop"

I do notice ( and have done fro some time now ) that what I'd call ( anti-flood ) = protection against multiple postings of the same post happen a lot..poster sees "not posted", system is processing the post, poster hits submit again, and again , system posts ( when it "catches up ) multiple copies of the same post..seems to be  on Tom's watch a lot..( you have my sympathies Tom : )..

Even while I'm typing this I see the system telling me there are new replies ( currently it is showing me 3 "new replies" ) ..

It is an occasional problem with any "push" system..Depends upon how teh server is et up, and how fast it is , and how fast the connected boxen are..

ahhhh and also dang, that sounds rough on you mods!

I'm not a mod..:rofl:

Mods have "green " names..

Nor am I a sysadmin on this forum..

:notworthy:This is Johanna's :notworthy: machine that you are posting onto..

But I am ( when wearing one of my many "hats" ) a programmer / sysadmin ( on my own stuff ) , and I know how some stuff works , been involved in such stuff over many decades..( greybeard) ..( But, I don't pretend ( ever ) to know it all by any means, even on my own boxen ) ..

I try help out , with explanations , or whatever ( when I am around, if I am around ) ..:)

Not very often you'll see me using "graphic smileys" either..I'm "old school"..like I said .."greybeard"..

Edited by mikesc

3 minutes ago, mikesc said:

I'm not a mod..:rofl:

Mods have "green " names..

Nor am I a sysadmin on this forum..

:notworthy:This is Johanna's :notworthy: machine that you are posting onto..

But I am ( when wearing one of my many "hats" ) a programmer / sysadmin ( on my own stuff ) , and I know how some stuff works , been involved in such stuff over many decades..( greybeard) ..( But, I don't pretend ( ever ) to know it all by any means, even on my own boxen ) ..

I try help out , with explanations , or whatever ( when I am around, if I am around ) ..:)

Not very often you'll see me using "graphic smileys" either..I'm "old school"..like I said .."greybeard"..

Johanna’s machine? I don’t know what that it. 

Also green name? I’m partially colorblind

The website belongs to ( and is administered by Johanna..the leatherlady :notworthy: )

Mods  here ( click on the link at the top of the page where it says "staff" to see who they are ) have their names in "green"..mine is in "blue" ( thankyou J )  .

Which, if you are blue green colour blind ( which in France, where I live, is called being Daltonian, or maybe Daltonien..and now I have the Eagle's Duelin' Dalton ( I think it was )  as an "earworm"..I'll have to look it up, I have it somewhere as the original vynil,bought when it came out..and on CD ..and ripped to .flac)..Love that band, and Don Henley..see my "sig"..and Loggins and Messina, and Alabama, etc  ) will be confusing..maybe it affects other members, first time I've seen it come up, but colour blindness ( even partial ) is more common than many people realise..Thanks for bring attention to it :)

Maybe mods names should be in another/ or supplementary  "decorated" form ( "usability"), I'll look into the forum software options and if other decoration forms are possible I'll suggest something about it to Johanna..But it is her place..her decisions..we are all just her "guests"..

Edited by mikesc

7 hours ago, mikesc said:

The website belongs to ( and is administered by Johanna..the leatherlady :notworthy: )

Oooh I thought you talking about the individual machine/computer you were on belonged to someone else. It’s been a long day. Thanks

Edited by Dun

FYI the Craftool stitching chisels are marked and measured differently than about any others.  They measure the space _between_ the prongs (but _not_ between the tips of the prongs). IMO, this is both confusing and useless. The Craftool "3mm" should be listed as 5 or 5.5mm.  It corresponds to 5 stitches per inch and 1.0mm thread is a good match.

Virtually all other stitching chisels and pricking irons are measured by the distance between the tips of the prongs, so 3mm equates to 8-9 spi, depending on the maker.  That prefers a much smaller thread.

6 hours ago, johnv474 said:

FYI the Craftool stitching chisels are marked and measured differently than about any others.  They measure the space _between_ the prongs (but _not_ between the tips of the prongs). IMO, this is both confusing and useless. The Craftool "3mm" should be listed as 5 or 5.5mm.  It corresponds to 5 stitches per inch and 1.0mm thread is a good match.

Virtually all other stitching chisels and pricking irons are measured by the distance between the tips of the prongs, so 3mm equates to 8-9 spi, depending on the maker.  That prefers a much smaller thread.

That's good to know! and helps explain why I've been having trouble keeping straight chisel/irons sizing.

I don't think I like how the craftool punches through as a chisel so I'm going to give it a try as just mark pricking and keep using the awl