Need to know what kind of leather that you use to make your belts?   I prefer to cut my own strips.  Wanting to make single layer belts preferably 10 ounce or heavier leather.

Any recommendations and sources appreciated.

if u are making a dress belt than a 8/9 oz will work just fine/ with 45 years experience  I used 8/9houlders or can use 9/10 oz.

For single layered belts I use 9-10 oz. cowhide; I only use vegetable-tanned leather and my leather of choice is Hermann Oak.  If doing a more casual style belt then I will drop down to 8-9 oz. for the extra flexibility.

Tooled, or not?  If you're making solid color smooth belts, english bridle is a great choice.  Obviously if you're tooling or stamping, then tooling leather will be required.

I will say that I don't like all belts 10 oz and up.  Thicker leather isn't required for any of them, actually, but some like it.  That can work, but I don't care for the look on narrower straps.  1" wide or less, a strap that heavy just doesn't look right proportionally.  Going to depend on your customer.

Hermann Oak and Wickett-Craig both have some very nice leathers.

I do use 9/10oz Horween Chromexcel for a lot of belts that aren't going to be tooled. The Chromexcel stretches a bit, so I like the thicker leather. Firmer leathers don't need to be that heavy, though.

I also use bridle leather, and veg-tan for tooled belts. The only stuff that I do that would be thicker than 9/10oz are gunbelts, and they are lined for the rigidity two layers can offer.

Jeff

With a very rare exception, . . . I only make double leather belts, . . . two 7 oz or so that are contact cemented together, . . . flesh to flesh.  My desired thickness runs from .160 . . . to very near .250, . . . depending on the person / load / and overall length.  The longer the belt, . . . the thicker I tend to make it.  

All of them are just a tad shy of 1 1/2 inches wide.

I use Tandy vegetable tan sides and/or double shoulders, . . . as that is the leather I use also for most of my holsters and cell phone cases and knife sheaths.

I can tool it, . . . leave it as plain as Tarzan's Jane, . . . or something in the middle.

When one goes out, . . . it assures me that there is another CCW customer in the world, . . . making it a bit safer for the good guys, . . . and also that he / she will be able to carry a full load of CCW weapon and accouterments with no trouble.

But, . . . that is the market I strive to reach.

May God bless,

Dwight